tranny or computer issue??

Dillons98GT

Founding Member
Feb 7, 2002
Lexington, SC
ok car is a 98 GT auto, with a cobra motor in it(ran fine for 6 months or so and then the problems started). Ok well it first started with some hesitation in the car registaring drive. i would go from park or reverse to drive and it would take a few seconds before the car would start moving. Did that for a few weeks, then one day I left work and had no Drive. It would run fine manually shifting from 1st to 2nd, but then shifting to Drive the car wouldnt registar it. Would act like it was in neutral. Somedays it would work fine in drive for a few miles then it wouldnt have drive anymore. Thought it was the tranny, so that has been swapped for a new one, problem still persist. Any suggestions what it could be?? Computer related or what? Is there a separte computer for the tranny??

• Sponsors (?)

No there isn't another computer for your trans. I never had this problem but check your vacuum lines on the motor and your shift points on your computer for your trans.

I don't know how much help you'll get on stangnet tech. Check on modulardepot.com for some good tech they maybe able to help you.

I don't know what your problem could be, but I'd guess that it might be something computer related since it's doing it after the new tranny. If you can't figure anything out, try asking the t-bird guys over at tccoa.com. They seem to know quite a bit about these transmissions because it's the only tranny on those cars. Good luck.