Transmission Cooler Install

• Sponsors (?)

propellerhead said:
Are the lines metal? Did you have to use a pipe cutter to cut them? Did you cap off the lines to the radiator?

Yes I plugged off the radiator. Lines are metal and I used a tubing cutter and tube flaring tool to attach the rubber hose lines from the cooler to the stock metal lines on the car.

Rocketman said:
I by-passed my radiator all together when I did mine. The top line into the radiator is from the tranny, the bottom line is the return.

This is not a good idea!!! Why would you bypass the radiator transmission cooler all together? On my O2 4r70w the return line (to the trans) is the top radiator line.

I will go and snap some pics.

"It is all about the fittings."

The correct fittings will allow you to easily get access to the trans fluid (coming out of the radiator) without cutting your stock lines.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Radiator Fittings.jpg
    Radiator Fittings.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 3,351
I think Hayden PN: T 394 should have the correct fittings...

I made a custon trans cooler bracket by cutting and welding several pieces of backstrap material. It keeps the cooler from rubbing against the AC condencer and keeps it from moving/vibrating much.

Good luck let us know if you need any more info or pics.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Trans Cooler.jpg
    Trans Cooler.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,362
Yet another old thread brought back to life...

We installed a Hayden transmission fluid cooler in my 04 GT this past weekend. The kit did not come with the right connectors. The instructions called for Hayden kit 252, or something like that and we drove all over town to find one. Then it still didn't fit. *sigh* For now, we bypassed the stock cooler.

YtnGT: Where did you get those connectors?

PS. For anyone else wondering, the line connected to the top side of the stock cooler is the line that feeds back to the transmission. I have transmission fluid splashed into my engine bay to prove it. This is for a 2004 Mustang GT.