Transmission fluid question

slow3gt

Nov 30, 2005
nashville tn
im planning on changing my tranny fluid tommorow ive heard good things about red line and syncromesh but im open to suggestions also how many quarts will i need i cant find the #'s from a tremec 3650 anywhere

• Sponsors (?)

Tremec doesn't recommend Syns for the 3650...check Tremecs site for info. My T-45 takes 3.1 liters (about 3.5 qts.) Buy 4 to be sure...check the owners manuel for you exact needs.

BTW...have you made any runs at the track since your cam swap? Just wondering for comparison purposes.

2003 Geee T said:
I tried Syncromesh and it didnt help at all. It may have made it worse. I used a dextron III, not sure of the brand and it made it better. I think its 3.4 to 3.8 quarts.
I tried the Dextron III but it didn't help. I put Synchromesh in today. Jury is still out. Maybe different trannys respond differently to different oils? That's different...

I'll post up my finding when I put some miles on this fluid...

For the 3650 I'm having good luck with Motorcraft MERCON ATF #XT-2-QDX at 3.7L.

I called Tremec and talked to John, he said do not use the Syncromesh (he did not mention RP Synco Max) because it swells the fiber material used in making the Synconizers in the 3650 transmission.

He said use Mercon III / Dexron III at a quanity of 3.0 to 3.2 ltr. I now use Motorcraft MERCON ATF #XT-2-QDX but I could not bring myself to lower the fluid level from the specified 3.8L of the '03 owners manual to what he suggested. I did fill it to the 3.7L as specified in the '04 owners manual though.

He said the specified fluid of Mercon Synthetic or any synthetic, is too slippery and there is not enough friction for the syncronizers riding against the dog rings to get them up to speed to match gear engagement. That is why the TSB for the early 3650's and the new '05 Manual states using Motorcraft MERCON ATF #XT-2-QDX fluid.

Just a note for those using the syncromesh on other trannies like the T-45 / T-5, according to John at Tremec it is fine for those transmissions.

hotrodnut said:
For the 3650 I'm having good luck with Motorcraft MERCON ATF #XT-2-QDX at 3.7L.

I called Tremec and talked to John, he said do not use the Syncromesh (he did not mention RP Synco Max) because it swells the fiber material used in making the Synconizers in the 3650 transmission.

He said use Mercon III / Dexron III at a quanity of 3.0 to 3.2 ltr. I now use Motorcraft MERCON ATF #XT-2-QDX but I could not bring myself to lower the fluid level from the specified 3.8L of the '03 owners manual to what he suggested. I did fill it to the 3.7L as specified in the '04 owners manual though.

He said the specified fluid of Mercon Synthetic or any synthetic, is too slippery and there is not enough friction for the syncronizers riding against the dog rings to get them up to speed to match gear engagement. That is why the TSB for the early 3650's and the new '05 Manual states using Motorcraft MERCON ATF #XT-2-QDX fluid.

Just a note for those using the syncromesh on other trannies like the T-45 / T-5, according to John at Tremec it is fine for those transmissions.

I agree wth the above excecpt the last parts about the T-45's as the ones in the 1996 to 1998 Cobras also used carbon-fiber linned syncro blocker rings and synthetic is NOT recommended for those transmission either. bottom line, save your $$, do not use synthetic fluid in a Ford manual trans in a Mustang, get regular old Mercon III

COramprat said:
I tried the Dextron III but it didn't help. I put Synchromesh in today. Jury is still out. Maybe different trannys respond differently to different oils? That's different...

I'll post up my finding when I put some miles on this fluid...

good luck with that. I used RP Synchromax, which I would assume is similar, and it made my T-45 grind on every shift.