Tremec TKO swap thread in a foxbody

• Sponsors (?)

3550 or tko? auto or manual to begin with?

trans
bellhousing
proper clutch/slip yoke if its a TKO
you should be able to slide the factory cross member back on the pins and it still work. im not sure about the wiring. driveshaft is the same. proper shifter.

Good luck with the swap.I ended up goin thru hell with Tremec,but the trans is now running beautiful.After sending back the first one...anyways

You can use stock driveshaft,but havto change the yoke to match the 31 splines on tail of tranny.Clutch if I remember right is 26spline(I went with a spec stage 1 to break it in) Just get a FR flywheel just make sure its balanced to 50oz.The shifter should come with trans and don't change it till your warrante is over.As for your bellhousing I would go Lakewood if i redid my swap its much stronger and it won't amputate ur legs if the flywheel decides to com loose.I wen't with a FR bellhousing.Adjustable X member,and your still gana be messing with it.I don't know how you can reuse your original one unless you can break the welds holding it in place.Once you ge the x-member in tackweld it like the stock one is you'll see what i mean just so its not adjustable anymore.I also think when you pull your spedo gear it will be all F'd up so you might wana look into that.A bunch of GM Syncromesh (chevy dealer only) you'll need 4 quorts(only good thing chevy ever did haha)to bad its about $12.00 a quort.

I know I left out things,but I am a tranny pullin master can do that sh izit in minutes HAHA

A bunch of GM Syncromesh (chevy dealer only) you'll need 4 quorts(only good thing chevy ever did haha)to bad its about $12.00 a quort.

FYI, You can pick up Pennzoil synrcromesh (same as GM's) at your auto parts store for closer to $5-6 per quart. They typically keep it in the gear oil section…as it's in a typical gear oil container (bright yellow).

As stated above but correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the TKO take 3 quarts of synchromesh? Another way to do the crossmember is to buy one from HPM. It'ts about 100 bucks. Whatever bellhousing you get. Definately index it! A lot of people complain about noise and vibration with the TKO but havn't indexed it. Supposidly the AL bellhousing doesn't need dowls and should be bolt up. I indexed mine and it was barely in spec. The chances if you don't get it aligned correctly is premature wear and rough shifting. Good luck.
Kevin

GL with the tranny I had 2 bad ones in a row. They did however take both back and provide me the 3rd one which has been in for 8K and seems fine. Now that i've got a good one it was well worth the hassle.

Tremec specifies GM syncromesh with friction addative.I honestly wouldn't use nothing else.FR belhousing needs no indexing,but the Lakewood for sure would have to change the dowls.And my trans took 3 1/2 quart exacly I dono bout using some autozone brand oil with a 2K tranny my opinion.

Tremec specifies GM syncromesh with friction addative.I honestly wouldn't use nothing else.FR belhousing needs no indexing,but the Lakewood for sure would have to change the dowls.And my trans took 3 1/2 quart exacly I dono bout using some autozone brand oil with a 2K tranny my opinion.

It's not autozone brand....it's Pennzoil, and it is indeed the exact same fluid.

been years

ibroke lot of t5 so i got the money and got a brand new one from ford. the only thing is the input on the tranny 31 spine. i used a clutch disc out of a chevy. the car ran good it was a stock motor and it ran a 13.40 @106 mph i never had a problem .stock headers, stock h pipe that i had knot the cats out of. the only thing the car had was 3:73 gear and a pulley on it. i never had any problems with tranny. i took the car over to have some flow maters on it and the guy called me out and the floor pan was all jacked up