trickflow stage1 cam annoying?

• Sponsors (?)

maverick0716 said:
You definitly shouldn't have to take off at 2K rpm. The TFS stage one isn't that wicked of a cam (2000-5500)

Just to clarify, this is the correct powerband (not to 6500) which I have verified with Trick Flow. I love the cam, but will probably be changing from 3.27's to 3.73's to get more acceleration down low.

91lxttrim said:
Everybody who says they have no problem with the stage1 or track heat seems to have gears.Therefore I still thinks it's the gears. What gears are in that stock 7.5? And where did the 3.90's come from all of a sudden? I know those are old school gears but all I ever see as an option is 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10 through all regular Mustang parts pedalers. A set of 3.90's sounds like they would be perfect for my 275-60/15 MT DR's. Who sells 3.90's?

like you said: your FMS gears are the 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, etc. Motive makes the 3.90 gear. theres alot guys on here with mixed feelings about Motive stuff. i actually just bought a 3.90 gear myself along with all the shims, bearings, seals, etc. i have yet to get it installed. id have to say that most of the posts i have read on motive gears have been more positive than negative. i know alot of guys lean more toward FMS stuff because its reputation and its ford stuff, which i understand. they say the rpm difference between 3.90s and 4.10s is minimal. im gonna try these 3.90s to be different :D

i got mine off of ebay with the whole kit included. mustangtuning.com carries them as well ..... http://mustangtuning.com/rearend.html $175
you might come out a little better if you do the ebay thing and get the whole shabang.

oh, i think Pro 5.0 makes a 3.90 gear also?

Yes... gears!! will help you use the 2000 rpm sooner, and YES I also suggest installing the cam in at 4* advanced to help gain the low end back !! Look at the posts from the guys that are rocking with the cam... 4* advanced/gears/ and SMALLER heads!! gotta say it guys.. BIG intake runners will kill velocity, which is all the lowend loss.... However .. gears and cam phasing will help!! cool??
Just me...............................

Thumper

Maybe it is just me, but I did not notice any Tq loss at all going from ported E7s/stock cam to Trick Flows and Stage 1 cam. If I punch it at idle (700 RPM) it will instantly rip apart my 245s.

Whats your full combo?

feifong said:
its the stock 7.5 rearend:D

So i'm guessing thats its somewhere around 2.73's which suck anyway. I know plenty of people run this cam with no problems. Just because the power band is from 2k to 6k or whatever it is, doesn't mean you lose power outside of that power band, but thats where the most power is seen.

fiveoho said:
im about to put some 3.90s in my ride. i already got them, just gotta get them installed. are you pretty happy with them? im running 3.55s now...hoping to see a noticeable change and better launches. maybe a little easier to turn the tires over :D

Very happy with them. I went from a 3.55 to these. Car is much quicker now, 3.55 wasnt enough gear for my car.

My cam is on a 108 ICL.

306,afr165,edelbrock rpm air gap,tfs1cam,roller rockers , Runs like chit clutch slips like crazy... even at 3k rpm now i need a new carb this one is leaking so bad what carb do i buy ?..:mad:

feifong said:
thats how hard i gotta take off for it to even move i feel like im burning the clutch every time now. Could it be because im running lean?

Id have to agree with it being the gears that would prolly also explain why the back end breaks loose above 3000 rpm in all gears... You could really use a new performance clutch to because it was taking too long to engage once you let off the clutch. your rustang still needs alot of work dude but it will be awesome when your done :D :banana: :dead:

feifong said:
306,afr165,edelbrock rpm air gap,tfs1cam,roller rockers , Runs like chit clutch slips like crazy... even at 3k rpm now i need a new carb this one is leaking so bad what carb do i buy ?..:mad:

Most guys would say a Holley 650 DP......but be warned, DP's are gas guzzler carbs. I only have a 600 cfm vacuum secondary Holley and it still runs good......I'm still debating on going with a different carb though.

I have the same kit and have 3.55:1 gears and at about 1000-1500 you can feel the cam lobing. But I also have the twisted wedge heads. At about 1800 it starts to kick in. And my hp peak was at 5700rpms and tq was at 4400 rpms according to the dyno I brought it to.