Trying to adjust timing, need help please!

Aliate X

May 9, 2005
Rockland NY
Trying to adjust timing, need help please! (no marks on my balancer except 1)

Hey guys I was just adjusting my timing, Im pretty sure I know how to do it but the car wont start with the spout disconnected, the little plug hanging off the TFI harness that has a cork if you will, in it.

I was planning on doing 14 degrees, what should I set my FP at?

I have full exhaust, and a 255 lph pump. I have high flow cats now, going to O/R in a few days.

Its a 93 5.0 LX

• Sponsors (?)

there are numbers, but its probably all dirty and hard to see. i suggest jacking up the car and cleaning your balancer, maybe taking a white paint pen and marking 10 (stock position) and 14

are the marks those big notches in the crank pullie? Theres only one that I can see, from where I was looking. I think i felt one on the other side of the pullie...

Are those the marks that I should color in white so I can see them better?

Do they mark 10 degrees stock timing? And if so how do I judge what is 14 degrees?

anyone? I have the car jacked up right now trying to do this.

I can only see the one big mark in the crank, theres no other marks. I checked pretty close, heres a picture.

0531051443.jpg

Attachments

• 0531051443.jpg
    0531051443.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 63
Okay nevermind I did some searching....I do not have any other marks on my balancer they are all gone. I marked the big line with chalk, Ill just have to guess how far 14 degrees would be....

Can someone tell me approx how far past the pointer I should have the marker when the car is running with the timing light ? Like half an inch or something?

:eek:

I would not be comfy doing that. You can get some timing tape and do it that way (or get a new balancer). one that is missing timing marks has seen better days. Also, the marks will only be in one small portion of the balancer's entire circumference if it is not a generic balancer.

good luck.

It is easy to make the marks/numbers on the factory balancer more visible. This is what I did:

1. Using white out, draw a straight vertical line across all the marks on the balancer.
2. Let it sit with the white out on for about 5 min or so (until it dries).
3. Take some gasket remover spray or something of that nature, and spray it on the white out and let it "fizz."
4. Take a rag and wipe the white out off the balancer.

All the timing marks should now be white, as the marks are actually grooves in the balancer. When you wiped the white out off, you wiped it all off except for the white out the was in the grooves, aka the timing marks/numbers.

1990LXDropTop said:
It is easy to make the marks/numbers on the factory balancer more visible. This is what I did:

1. Using white out, draw a straight vertical line across all the marks on the balancer.
2. Let it sit with the white out on for about 5 min or so (until it dries).
3. Take some gasket remover spray or something of that nature, and spray it on the white out and let it "fizz."
4. Take a rag and wipe the white out off the balancer.

All the timing marks should now be white, as the marks are actually grooves in the balancer. When you wiped the white out off, you wiped it all off except for the white out the was in the grooves, aka the timing marks/numbers.

thats a good idea.

I figured out where the marks were, I thought they were around the entire balancer, I marked the 10-20-30 lines with chalk and then did it fromt here, its a little behind half way of 10 and 20 which should be about 14 degrees, it runs awesome, no more knocking!