Tubular K-member with stock suspension?

black93lx

May 21, 2001
IL.
I've got a 91 LX that i'm doing some work to. I want to put a tubular K-Member in because mine has quite a bit of rust on it and I'm wondering if I can use the stock A-arms/springs with a tubular k-member? (I was looking at the one from Granatelli MS).......or do i also have to buy the tubular a-arms and get a coil over kit? if i need a coil over kit, can i use the existing shocks that i have? (i'm thinking not but thought i'd ask anyway).

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I know some companies do make tubular K-members that can use stock A-arms.

That being said, I know Maximum Motorsports specifically chose to require the use of tubular A-arms because of weight issues and proper fitment.

If you do get tubular A-arms, you CAN reuse your stock shocks. There are kits (Max. Motorsports, UPR, etc) that are coilover conversions and use the stock shocks.

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=64

Heres the UPR kit that includes coilovers and tubular A arms....I used the coil overs with Tokico Blue shocks...I think the Bilstiens require a different type of coil over but the stock struts are the same as the Tokico's. I like my coil overs alot...Since you are asking about the use of stock A arms price must be an issue...The UPR kit is $699...You must use after market Caster Camber plates with Coil overs.This adds to the price. Maximum Motorsports makes one of the only Steel set of plates,which is stronger than the aluminum( more cost)..
Kelly

Qa1 will work.

I don't think the AJE will work with stock arms, they bolt in, in a different manner (i'm pretty sure). What you can do with them is use regular springs, but the lower arms with the perches are very expensive.
And they have No bushings, not exactly a good idea if you drive alot.

I have a Granatelli motosports K-Member Kit, You will need A-arms and coil-over kit. Also, you need to find some good caster/camber plates(Like Steeda, which I have, Maximum Motorsports, UPR). When you remove the front springs, All the font end weight now rests on the strut tower an the top of the shock (Coil over). Beware of other companies c/c plates, as some are only intended to be used with the stock suspension-Lack of strength. I am using the stock struts untill my Lakewood 70/30's come in.