Tuned by the best!

hotmustang331

Apr 29, 2004
Bastrop,TX
Yea, just got back from Georgia last night. Drove up there (14-15 hours), and then drove back the same day lol. I slept about an hour on the way back, but drove ALL the way there. SO, we met Tim and man this guy is amazing, really knows his stuff. VERY professional and the way he runs the place is a prime example of how everyone else should run their porformance shops. He took the time to shoot the breeze with us and answer our questions and also convinced me to go with a 1.7KB over the TT setup. The main thing that got me was when he told us that a 600+RWHP/675RWTQ tubo GT slammed into the wall @ 70MPH when he dropped a gear and nailed it while messing with an import....it really showed me how much power that was and how dangerous it could be...especially with turbos. Goal now is around 500 after a built motor...going to max the 1.7.

No baseline but afterwards made 274/292 with OUT the electric waterpump. :banana: I am very pleased with the results as it was 90+ and about 70% humidity. The 274 was with about a 10-15 minute cool down after run. The car had been drove up there, went found a place to eat, shut down maybe an hour, then drove back over to MPH and he strapped it down and started tuning. Needless to say, after talking with him I am now going to do 2 things I thought I would never do....A. Like said above, im going with a 1.7KB in a year or so and will have him install and tune it to 415RWHP....B. I am buying BBK ceremic coated long tube headers with matching Dr Gas O/R X after he told me he usually sees about 20RWHP JUST out of the headers and that I will probably be in the mid 290s with them. Then with my waterpump I should be at the door of 300. Heck if I were to put the stock gears and the stock rims on it would have been at 280. The car is POWERFULL.

Ran into a turbo Porche 944 on the way back...went from 60-110. End of 3rd @ 6K (pulls ALL the way...feels the same from 5-6 now) he was at my bumper, hit 4th and put him about 1&1/2 cars back. Had exhaust and had his GF in the front seat lol.

Also just put my electric waterpump back on a few hours ago.
Anyways, no dyno sheet because Tim printer screwed up when he went to print it out lol...that should be up in a few days. Vids will be up...eventually lol. I need a video capture card ($80), and some more ram (512 stick...$110). So it may be a while because I already ordered a New Dr Gas O/R X that works with BBK or MAC LTs. :banana: Will order LTs in a month or so.

• Sponsors (?)

If your going to max out the 1.7kb then why not just go ahead and get the 2.2 for the difference in money so if you decide to go for more power someday you won't have to spend more money buying another new KB? It's our car, I'd just go with the bigger one for the time being cause there's more potential get later on.

Thanks guys....as for getting the 2.2, I probably will keep the 1.7 simply because my new power goal is around 500RWHP. The 600 that the 2.2 can make is just too much power really....its too easy to loose control, especially in a 3200lb GT...now a 3600lb cobra would be easier due to the weight. I want to try and max the 1.7 and see what I can get. Ill try and get 300RWHP N/A and then comes the S/C.

And yes the car is FAST now. Went for a test drive with my dad after I put the E waterpump back on...rolling 10, lit the tires in 1st, had to shift almost instantly, fishtailed for a ways in 2nd gear holding over 5K and then hooked right at the end of 2nd...hit 3rd and got out of it. FAST lol.

Hey, had a question....any of you guys installed BBk LTs before? It looks like we can get to most of the bolts with ease, should we drop the K member to change? If so, im going to go ahead and buy a tubular one and instal my windage trey. Anyone know which K member is the lightest? Trying to get a game plan here so we can maybe get it all done in 1 try. :nice:

Oh yea, how about extensions for the front 02 sensors? Needed? Thanks.

Better with a tune isnt it lol god our cars are too much alike i swear :D

Attachments

• IMG_4039.JPG
    IMG_4039.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 114
RageStangX said:
Better with a tune isnt it lol god our cars are too much alike i swear :D

WOW, they sure are lol. Same power, same basic mods, DD rears, silver.. Dang you have good taste. :lol: And yes the tune helped a TONE...I love it. The last time I nailed it I was at 248RWHP and to jump to 274 was amazing.

BTW the black DD bullitts look :drool: .

LOL, no it was a turbo. They run 14.6s-15.1s stock (year dependant) but this one was not stock....it was fast. He would rape stock GTs. Before cams when I was putting down 248, I would pull stock GTs much harder than I pulled him. My guess is that car would run in the high 13s @ 100ish. But then again I did have ALOT of weight in the car. Clothes, dad, 26lb tool box, 20lb ice cooler, and other stuff.

That sounds like serious fun.

I didn't mean to bust on your experiance.. I just had a feeling they were kinda slow.

I'm sure it was fun. I will also being going to MPH soon, but I will follow through with the TT set up. I've had plans for a little time now.

I live about 5 or so hours from MPH, and It is awesome to hear you also had a great expericance.. im looking for to the future.

yeah my friend has a "stock" 944 turbo that runs 12's
minimal tuning and some boost upgrades. the car is gorgeous

anyway

what did he tell you besides the losing control part that made you go with the 1.7kb?

you can tune a TT mildly and still have the potential to make huge numbers... for 2 grand more i wouldve went withthe TT.

1fast03pony said:
yeah my friend has a "stock" 944 turbo that runs 12's
minimal tuning and some boost upgrades. the car is gorgeous

anyway

what did he tell you besides the losing control part that made you go with the 1.7kb?

you can tune a TT mildly and still have the potential to make huge numbers... for 2 grand more i wouldve went withthe TT.

Thats my plan exactly. Comes with c/c plates, k memeber, headers, h pipe, front suspension things... ect ect... and only 2-3 k more installed.

Well he was telling me that he PERSONALLY like the KBs the best...he said the TTs are wicked but they are very hard to control and the car just squats all the way down the track and is more difficult to control (1000hp one). He was also saying that he loved the Kbs because it feels like your driving around a 500CID BB car and not a 4.6 lol, and when you crack the throttle you instantly have 400RWTQ at your disposal. The power comes on instantly but is easy to control as it stays about the same pull all the way through the RPM range, the turbos just keep pulling and you really cant get used to the power.

Basically this guy has driven EVERY setup imaginable and he says that the KBs provide the most fun and he would rather drive one of those. Ill take the mans advice, he knows what he is talking about....and NOW all i want is 500RWHP. The 1.7 will provide that and I can get full boost anytime I want it W/O waiting for spoolup and then a sudden surge of power a few seconds later...it comes in instantly so i know how and when to react to it..= easier/safer to control.

And the other thing that turned me away from my 600RWHP goal is that he said generally you will spend around 30 thousand dollars by the time you build the motor, by the FI, buy new tranny, build rearend, setup full new suspension, weld torque boxes, strengthen the chasis, get full roll cage, get all the gauges ect... Those are the other reasons lol.

hotmustang331 said:
And the other thing that turned me away from my 600RWHP goal is that he said generally you will spend around 30 thousand dollars by the time you build the motor, by the FI, buy new tranny, build rearend, setup full new suspension, weld torque boxes, strengthen the chasis, get full roll cage, get all the gauges ect... Those are the other reasons lol.

Exactly. Many overlook the fact other upgrades are necessary in order to run a 600+hp car without having other stuff breaking down. It's more than just slapping on a built motor, then bumping up the boost.

Glad to see you had a good time there. So did I. :)

good numbers :nice:

We thought we could reach all the bolts too and wasted a day trying to put the LTs on without dropping the k-member. Drop it!!! It's so much easier. Well maybe unless you have access to a lift and other various helpful items that we didn't have in our small garage lol

That's a damn shame. You drove all the way from Texas to Georgia to come to MPH, and here my sorry @$$ stays about 30 minutes away and have not made it over there yet. I need my arse kicked :D .
I've been meaning to holla at Tim and Jim Fitzgerald. You hear there Jim. I got kind of busy the weekend I was supposed to visit you. Oh yeah Jim, I saw your name in 5.0 magazine the other day in the MPH advertisement. Those are some serious HP numbers you are putting down bro :nice: ,especially with a supercharger instead of a twin screw. That's the route I want to take. :banana:

Good numbers and great to hear that information. I had thought about going TT but all I want is just some good power. I'm considering acquiring a KB setup for my NPI motor and see how much we can get this beast up to at least 350-400HP. When my current motor has outlasted its usefulness in a couple of years, I would like to build up a forged, p&p'd PI motor to move the KB over to and shoot for 500-600HP. It would be so sweet to have a totally killer '98 (sleeper) GT to wipe the smile off of local 'Vette/Camaro/TA/Cobra owner's faces, and in a 'vert no less!