Turning Radius? Wide Tires In Front And Rear.

Benz510

Feb 19, 2016
Oakland California
Hey all. This might be a dumb question but do wider tires in front and back of cars decrease the turn radius?

I drove my recently acquired 89 gt today and noticed when i attempted to make a U turn, i had to back up because i couldn't flip the turn. The street was wide enough and i should have been able to.

I looked at my tires and the guy who owned the car previously put 265 /35 /18 in front and 275/35/18 in the rear. The car sits well but that wide 265 in the front seems a bit too wide to my knowledge. I had these same wheels on my notchback a while back but fitted the fronts with 245s and didn't have a problem. This car is lowered. Not sure what the drop is.

I just wanted to ask because i don't feel like buying new tires. What else could it be?

• Sponsors (?)

Wider tires won't affect the turning radius, but if they're wide enough to make contact with the inner fenderwell (like 265's are.....especially with a lowered car), then he may have installed rack limiters.

Rack limiters are basically little aluminum or nylon stoppers installed on the rack and pinion to limit travel.

This is likely what is decreasing your turning radius.

Reactions: 2 users
Wider tires won't affect the turning radius, but if they're wide enough to make contact with the inner fenderwell (like 265's are.....especially with a lowered car), then he may have installed rack limiters.

Rack limiters are basically little aluminum or nylon stoppers installed on the rack and pinion to limit travel.

This is likely what is decreasing your turned big radius.
Because...to much tire. Lol

Mustangs have poor turning radius in general. Even with stock size tires, I could never flip a U-turn on a standard size street, I always need to back up, or turn by way of right foot.

It's noticeable how bad it is when I drive any sort of modern car and can make a turn in a street with ease. The Mustang just won't do it

Reactions: 1 user

This is likely what is decreasing your turned big radius.
Surprisingly the car doesn't rub at all in the front when making turns.

Maybe....though I've got 255's on 17x9's up front on mine with no rubbage.

Of course, my car is lowered less than an inch....and I may have massaged the inner area of my lower control arms ever so slightly with a BFH.

....but I don't run rack limiters. ;)
My 245's don't rub...but it's oh so close. I would rub if I added any extra diameter.

FWIW, I have stock wheels and tires and my turning radius blows. My explorer executes tighter turns than my fox.

If you aren't rubbing with your current setup it's possible you have rack limiters which would make it worse.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So coming to find out the front has spacers on it. Not sure why but maybe to fit the Saleen Wheels? Do u guys think if i remove the 265s and put 245 40 18s and remove the rack limiters i should have enough clearance. Yes the car is lowered a bit. The front is set up with 98' spindles from what helpful stangnetters have told me.

on the drivers side, down just above the floor, there is a skinny thing... push that into the carpet and the car will pivot on the front tires.

Reactions: 1 users