Understanding Timing

ok, following a discussion regarding the meaning of TDC,BTDC, etc, I have a question regarding my timing, when we checked it last weekend, it was set to 0 degree's (Green dot in my picture) on the balancer. Now it was originally my understanding that this meant the timing was retarded 10 degree's from stock, since the car rolled up a whopping 137.5hp on our local Dyno. I re-set the timing to 10 degree's (red dot) and the car has got a lot stronger, surely this wouldn't be the case if I was actually retarding the timing?

Or am I all back to front with my understanding of TDC and BTDC?

timing.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Double check your perceived definition of ATDC and BTDC - I think you might have misunderstood. :)

Your red dot advanced the timing from 0.

88stangnut said:
Now my ? is... where do you set that 10 mark to?? Theres like a little bracket that goes over the balancer... Where do i set it?

There.

timing2.jpg

You can't see it in the pic, but I think that line (which is not present on my car) is centered on a point. The metal forms a point there. Use that point.

Monsterbishi, you're timing was "retarded 10*" when it was set at 0*. It is now at 10* BTDC (stock) ... so you advanced it 10* from where it was. My car was like this a little while back, too. Now it feels like a totally different car.

Attachments

• timing2.jpg
    timing2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 60