Electrical Unused Fused causing intermittent drain?

• Sponsors (?)

Im beginning to wonder if your ignition switch is going bad. Not where the key goes in. There is a electrical switch mounted on the steering column. They go bad and cause all sorts of issues.

The odd starting issue made me think of it.

They are fairly cheap and easy to change.

Not sure how to rule it out tho.

I'm cursed. so with the car off but the battery still connected, I reconnected that blue alternator line to the relay....TINY spark. now my cluster warning lights and gauges don't work, only illumination works. fml.

stock style, but new. pro start installed just yesterday. what this proves is the old motor raft alternator was most likely okay. since the draw situation did not change. that blue line is missing a ground or shirting out someplace along the line. need a weekend and some daylight.

The blue wire goes down and connects to two bigger wires probably black with orange stripe. If so those go directly to the alternator plug. Those are the charging lines. Check the plug on the alt. they are prone to decay and are known to cause a fire. You can get a replacement plug at autozone or similar parts store. I would abandon the factory charging wires and run a single heavy wire over to the alt and connect it to the new plug. That will rule out the wires shorting and the plug shorting.

I think the possibly some one added The blue wire which has replaced the green wire in this pic. Top right side
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360910486.157487.jpg

The drawing shows a blue wire going to blk org also for the ecu power. You will have to figure out what circuit the blue wire is connected to.

everything with regard to battery drain is......FIXED! thanks all for the massive help!

it all came down to tracing lines and finally was left with the actual plugs going in to the alt. they were tightly wrapped in electrical tape. I unwrapped that mess and OMG..the black white stripe line from the twin power plug was being fed back in to one of the orange black lines?! the wire had of course melted. I cut all that out, used my new plug and crimped/solder new hotness back in to all the proper connections....ZERO DRAW and charging is MUCH BETTER. after all that it was right there at the alt connection. haaa.

Reactions: 1 user