URGENT! Overheating issue.

TheDamned

"I am Canadian and Damned for it!"
Jul 22, 2003
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi,

It's very warm around here today so I decided to turn on the A\C.
It wasn't blowing cold air at all when I saw my temp gauge to the top,
I stopped right away asap. That's when some prestone started to come out of the radiator cap. I said to myself oh well time to put some prestone in the radiator. It was clearly lacking prestone so i tough there ya go i solved the problem. Came back home and the tempature was very high again but the radiator cap didnt blow any prestone after I turned it off. The fan is working, what could it be? Stuck thermostat, air pocket ? or the motor was just too hot to cool after the first overheating ? (I remind you, it's very hot today outside)

Thans!:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Could be a lot of things, honestly. Cooling issues were one of the first problems I had with my car. Things to check:

1) Radiator cap.
2) Thermostat.
3) Water pump. Try pulling the drive belt off and see if you can turn it by hand, making sure it hasn't seized up.
4) Radiator. Make sure there is no major debris that may be preventing air from flowing over the fins properly.
5) Is your anti-freeze / water mixture correct?

You mentioned air bubbles. That's possible, but I wouldn't expect it unless you had recently drained and refilled your radiator fluid.

Not to freak you out, but I battled this for years. I replaced the radiator cap, water pump, thermostat, went with an aftermarket radiator and even put a manual fan switch in the cockpit for when it was start to creep up. My final solution was to use my TweeCer to set the fans to come on at a lower temperature.

Hopefully you have better luck.