Using AODE Oil Cooler on Radiator as Engine Oil Cooler on Manual Car?

• Sponsors (?)

The stock thing in the radiator is not a cooler per se. It's a heat exchanger. It is used to regulate fluids (keeping them in the vacinity of the coolant temps). If coolant is at 200*, I dont see the exchanger doing anything to help engine oil temps (once at temp, oil generally runs a bit hotter than coolant). You'd be FAR better off running a stand-alone stacked plate oil cooler. They're reasonably priced too.

Good luck.

On a manual how would you get the fluid to move through the lines as its not under pressure from a pump like an auto?

He wasnt talking about the tranny fluid Paul, he has a manual car and wants to use a radiator from an auto so he can use what would be tranny cooling lines as engine oil cooling lines.

All those hours of getting that car together must be playing havoc on your brain lol :p j/k

The stock thing in the radiator is not a cooler per se. It's a heat exchanger. It is used to regulate fluids (keeping them in the vacinity of the coolant temps). If coolant is at 200*, I dont see the exchanger doing anything to help engine oil temps (once at temp, oil generally runs a bit hotter than coolant). You'd be FAR better off running a stand-alone stacked plate oil cooler. They're reasonably priced too.

Good luck.

I'm having trouble seeing why a heat exchanger wouldn't drive temperatures down...

I dont think it would because there's not that large of a temp delta between the fluids. Again, the OEM unit is an exchanger, not a cooler per se. Add in the heat-retention ability of motor oil and I personally think it's even less effective.

As I stated above, if even pondering such an exercise, I still think you'd be miles ahead to use a dedicated stacked plate cooler. It can take a fair amount of surface area and ambient air flow to cool oil down.

Anyhow, that's just MHO. If you do try the exchanger idea, please report your oil temps as I dont think anyone has tried this before. :nice: