V8 Motormount

• Sponsors (?)

Anchor 2336 is not, and never has been, correct for a 302.

The correct right side mount is still available from Ford. The left has been discontinued. The major difference in the two is the left had the nut welded to the backside for the throughbolt.

The right mount doesn't have the nut. Based on a side-by-side comparison, I believe it will work. The only visible difference I saw was that the right mount lacks the nut, and is doubled at the saddle, where the left has the nut, and is a single thickness at the saddle.

I believe you should be able to add the nut to a right side mount and use it on the left. Might not even need to add the nut, it's just easier to get the bolt in with it on there.

THE COBRAMAN said:
The right mount doesn't have the nut. Based on a side-by-side comparison, I believe it will work. The only visible difference I saw was that the right mount lacks the nut, and is doubled at the saddle, where the left has the nut, and is a single thickness at the saddle.

I believe you should be able to add the nut to a right side mount and use it on the left. Might not even need to add the nut, it's just easier to get the bolt in with it on there.

I Don't think it will work otherwise why have a left and a right.

I seem to remember the mounting part not being centered (slightly offset).

So on one side engine sits forward, on the other side engine sits back if mount was rotated to the other side ---hence 2 different mounts offset accordingly

z-out

When I put the engine back in about 2 weeks ago, I laid them side by side. From what I remember, the previously mentioned items were the difference, POSSIBLY the "bump" that locates the mount on the stand was slightly different. Pretty sure I checked the centering of the saddle, as I was interested in seeing if the available mount would work in case I use up my spare lefts. I think that if there's any offset, it's equal the same amount, which would be ahead on one side, and back on the other with the same mount.

As for why 2 different mounts: remember that Ford was doing production installs. The rear nut on the driver's side would be difficult to access at the rate of several hundred cars per day, so they added the nut to the backside to ease bolt installation. My guess would be that they reduced the service part inventory with the idea that the right mount would work on both side with a little extra work to get a nut on it, whereas the left wouldn't really work on the right (although the fool I bought the Ghia from had one on the wrong side :rolleyes: ).

Just a theory at this point. I have spare lefts, but didn't buy any rights since A) who ever wears out the right, other than age, and B) it's still available, although they're getting pricey.

Hate to have too many dollars tied up in "maybe someday" parts. Kinda wish I'd have bought a truckload of front spoilers back when they listed for $75, but that was a lot of money back in 1980.