v8 suspension

mayer5oh

Aug 8, 2004
quakertown, pa
i was planning to swap in some old stuff from my 5.0 to make my 4 banger handle better. sway bars, springs, shocks... but i was wondering how much i should cut the front and rear springs... i want it to sit pretty low, im thinking with the ponies and the tires i have on there now, i want to lower the front 1 and a half inches and 2 in the back... could anybody give me any suggestions on how much to cut off of stock lx springs?

• Sponsors (?)

A coil and a half off the front springs should get them down about where you want them, if I remember correctly. As for the rear springs, well...I don't really know if you can cut them. They have the "pigtail" on top which you definitely can't cut, and on the bottom they taper down to form a flat base to sit down against the control arm. You could try cutting off the bottom, but no guarantees...you'd probably have a hard time getting the spring to sit against the control arm properly afterward. (I've never done it myself but this is just based on what I think from looking at the springs)

I doubt your 5.0 springs will help handling on the 2.3, especially if you cut them. Swaybars will definitely help, shocks you can only use if you put the V8 brakes on.

Ash

Yeah, I don't think the Gt rear springs were any different than the 4cyl. Why would they be they are not heavier in the rear. Go get some T-bird rear springs and cut a coil at least and then you can carry passenger's again.

almost every model got slightly differnt springs all the way around. Weight and weight distribution has a huge effect on ride height. I can see my back end drop about an inch when I fill the gas tank from empty!