Valvetrain adjustment

Prochrgd1

Founding Member
Feb 11, 2002
Michigan
Following the instructions on the Crane website (same as Ed Curtis method) it says to pick any cylinder to start, then proceed to the next. Does this mean I can start with #1 & go straight down the pass. bank (adjusting per instruction)? Then straight down the drivers bank (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8)? I've always started with #1 TDC & followed the firing order.

"Hand rotate the engine in its normal direction of rotation and watch the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder. When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop and adjust that cylinder's intake rocker arm. (Why? Because when the exhaust valve is just beginning to open, the intake lifter will be on the base circle of the lobe, the correct position for adjusting the intake.) "

"Continue to hand turn the engine, watching that same intake. It will go to full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. (Again, when we see the intake almost closed, we are sure that exhaust lifter is on the base circle of the lobe.) Loosen the exhaust rocker arm and follow the same procedure described before in steps 3 and 4 to adjust this rocker arm".

• Sponsors (?)

I always go in firing order or use the "short-cut method where you can adjust all valves with just three turns of the crank. I have it printed off somewhere, if I find it I'll post it. Going in the firing order is quicker as you don't have to turn the motor over as much to get the next valve ready if you just went down the line. It really doesn't matter as long as you are definitely on the base circle of the lobe before you set it.

Adjust by the firing order not by the bank cycle. Start at #1 @ TDC, adjust, turn motor 90 degrees, then #3 and so on.

firing_order.jpg

Nope, it doesn't matter as long as you are on the base circle. I normally do all the intakes then do all the exhaust. Remember, do the intake when the exhaust begins to open and do the exhaust when the intake begins to close... this will ensure that you are on the base circle.