Very strange Starting and driving electrical issue

joshjwc9

Jun 12, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
My '99 GT has recently developed a hiccup in starting as well as driving. The car might not always start when I go to start it, it will click the first time, the gauges will sweep and then the car will start. Also, the car has been almost stalling due to loss of electrical power, the radio, accessories and headlights will dim if I push the car or try to stop hard. Also, there seems to be a loud whistling noise thru the driver window tweeter that goes up and down in RPM's.

Battery Connections look tight (I will check in the morning, and spraying with battery acid cleaner as well.)

Any suggestions if a corroded terminal isn't the culprit?

• Sponsors (?)

I just cleaned it off before it started raining, it turned over without any of the gauges sweeping. IF it clears today, I will have my dad out there with a voltmeter, The Battery will be 1 year old on June 26th BTW.

check all your electrical connections. (battery, alternator and such)... there is another one to check as well...in the engine compartment near the plenum(intake elbow) there is a small wire...should be a single black wire with the 90 degree boot on the end of it... normally its attached to the fuel rail or another bolt around the EGR Valve. This wire actually is a ground which came bout in the marquis's and the vic's to solve the noise through the radio problem. there is only one though on a mustang and although it might look like a ground for the fuel rail it isnt. check that connection as well...

check all your electrical connections. (battery, alternator and such)... there is another one to check as well...in the engine compartment near the plenum(intake elbow) there is a small wire...should be a single black wire with the 90 degree boot on the end of it... normally its attached to the fuel rail or another bolt around the EGR Valve. This wire actually is a ground which came bout in the marquis's and the vic's to solve the noise through the radio problem. there is only one though on a mustang and although it might look like a ground for the fuel rail it isnt. check that connection as well...
Do you happen to have a picture of this?

When the gauges sweep when turning the ignition, it indicates that the battery voltage is too low... It happens also when you start the first time after reconnecting the battery... A defective battery will cause the gauges to do that every time you try to start up the engine.

Regarding the loud whistling sound, that happened to me once and it resulted to be the diode bridge also called the rectifier. I detected the problem soon enough not to fry the battery up. That's maybe your case... battery damaged already...