vibrating

65fastback2+2

Aug 4, 2003
Louisville, KY
ok, i took the back left tire off and put the spare on which was a brand new tire, and the vibrating still persists. could it be the drums are bent or something with the rear brakes? I know its not the front cause the vibrating isnt noticed through the steering wheel as if its the front, so im sure its the rear. I know it could be the rear right tire, since when you burn out the limited slip always makes the rear right spin. It could be the rear brakes, cause I once drove it 45 miles with the parking brake on (I had had if for like 6 days when I did that lol). Or it could be the wheel bearings, but theres no oil or bad smelling brakes. It does vibrate its worst when you are braking and get about 20 mph the whole car rocks like you got a small board stuck to your tire. Any ideas on what to do next to figure it out? I dont think wheels being off balance would cause this much vibrating.

• Sponsors (?)

65fastback2+2 said:
ok, i took the back left tire off and put the spare on which was a brand new tire, and the vibrating still persists. could it be the drums are bent or something with the rear brakes? I know its not the front cause the vibrating isnt noticed through the steering wheel as if its the front, so im sure its the rear. I know it could be the rear right tire, since when you burn out the limited slip always makes the rear right spin. It could be the rear brakes, cause I once drove it 45 miles with the parking brake on (I had had if for like 6 days when I did that lol). Or it could be the wheel bearings, but theres no oil or bad smelling brakes. It does vibrate its worst when you are braking and get about 20 mph the whole car rocks like you got a small board stuck to your tire. Any ideas on what to do next to figure it out? I dont think wheels being off balance would cause this much vibrating.

If you drive for 6 days with the parking brake on I would be willing to bet you generate enough heat to make the bearings go bad....have you had anyone follow up in another car to visually inspect the rear wheels while you feel the vibration? Have you tried running the car up on stands so you can check for wobble in a controlled environment? Have you tried just swpping front wheel and back wheels to confirm it isn't a bent rim?

Ohhhhhh the possibilities, but is sounds quite dangerous and I recommend minimal driving until you find a solution.

no it wasnt driven for six days, i did the parking brake thing when I had only had it for six days. I did have the back left jacked up once and ran it and i noticed the wheel did wobble a lil. and its not dangerous, just totally annoying.

If there's any kind of wobble in the tire or brakes, that can be dangerous. Take the tires off and check your brakes and bearing. You could have toasted the bearing while driving with the parking brake on.