VIN Location

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for your replies. Well I'm debating on buying or not an '01 Mustang but there's something fishy about it. The owner says it had a small fender bender up front once... I just wanted to check out if he had to replace any sheet metal by checking out if the hood and/or fenders still had the VIN stickers. I own a Fox Mustang and know for sure that these guys have some VIN stickers hidden all around. Maybe it's the same for the newer Mustangs.

The car does look good and sounds awesome, but you never know. :D

Well, thanks a lot again!

The only place where I know that there are VIN stickers is the one on the dashboard next to the windsheild and the one which is a sticker type VIN on the inside of the driver's side door post on the quarter panel.

This thread brings me to want to ask another question about the VIN sticker that's on the inside of the driver's door post on the quarter panel.
I own a 2001 Mustang GT. I pre-ordered and purchased my car brand new at my local Ford dealer back in the summer of 2001. Anyways, before I picked up my car, the dealer detailed it after the car was pulled off the car carrier. When they detailed my GT, they rubbed off and smudged part of the VIN number and also some of the other codes that are on the VIN sticker. About 1/3 of the VIN sticker is "smudged". I think that maybe the ink on the VIN sticker was still fresh from the factory in some areas and it came off or smudged when the Ford dealer wiped down the inside of the door post while they prepped my car.

I would like to know if this is going to be a big deal if I ever need to get my Mustang painted or repaired or reconditioned? I want to keep my 2001 GT for the rest of my whole life and I am worried about the VIN sticker on the inside of the door post looking like $hit and being smudged the way it is.
Is there any way to recondition the VIN sticker? I wish that the Ford dealer was more careful when they prepped my car when it was shipped to them. They did an excellent prep job, but they smudged 1/3 of the information that's on the VIN sticker.
What should I do? Should I just leave it alone? Does anybody in here have this same problem?

Only place I've ever seen it was on the dash. There's some stickers on the k-member and what not but no VIN numbers. As far as the door sticker, if it gets repainted I think they can order a new one from Ford to replace it. I think, don't quote me on it.

RED2001GT,

I doubt you will be able to get a new one. But if you sell the car the new buyer could car fax it. I know on my my old 97' Supra every body panel, door, hood, trunk and so on has a vin sticker. Toyota will not give you a new one. I would think Ford would be the same way with the hand-out of their vin stickers.