vintage style 289 build

You're sort of on the right track. It's the duration at .050 that really determines the behavior of any cam. Ford "advertises" the Z303 as more than it really is. It has a high lift, especially with 1.7's, but the duration at 50 is smaller than some others. I'm running it with Canfields that are the equivalent of the AFR 165's and a three duece repop setup with 250 cfm Holleys, that also has a lot to do with it's powerband turning on at 1500, but it still pulls to 7000. It would behave differently with a Vic Jr and a 750 Holley 4 bbl., the powerband would be moved at least 1500 rpms upwards on both ends, but I have no desire to rev the motor that high and shorten it's lifespan. I'm completely satisfied the way it turned out. It's tame enough for everyday driving, but still turns heads when people hear it's idle. Plus, even with a less than 2000 stall, it only needs a light touch of the brakes and gas to break the 295/50's out back loose and go sideways on dry pavement.:nice:

I would love to have 3 deuces. I love the look and the response they give. Sounds like your ride is a lot of fun. I'm ready to get back in the mustang saddle!
It will still be a few months...
Thanks for your help!

• Sponsors (?)