Viper-spec T56.. :)

Trav4011

Jan 3, 2006
I picked up my T56, cobra driveshaft, Spec 3.5, and aluminum flywheel today, for $2K.. :) I was wondering how to identify a Viper Spec trans, versus the Cobra T56.. also, what else do I need to install it into my 2000 GT. I think the only thing that I'm short, is the trans mount.. Or, can you use the T45 mount? Thanks..

Travis

• Sponsors (?)

Trav4011 said:
I picked up my T56, cobra driveshaft, Spec 3.5, and aluminum flywheel today, for $2K.. :) I was wondering how to identify a Viper Spec trans, versus the Cobra T56.. also, what else do I need to install it into my 2000 GT. I think the only thing that I'm short, is the trans mount.. Or, can you use the T45 mount? Thanks..

Travis
where did you get all that for 2k?!?! please tell. and as for the mount, i *think* you'll need a new tranny mount since the T-56 is longer. i thought a new one came in the kit, unless you just pieced it all together.

EDIT:as for telling the difference, i believe both trannies look the same from the outside, the only difference is whats inside

I purchased it from a guy in FL, whom I met through a friend. He's got a 700whp F1R Procharged Fox, with a DOHC 4.6, and built automatic. He had this in his vehicle for 1000 miles, and when he upgraded from the D1 to the F1R, he took it out, and put the automatic in.

I'm going to call Ford, and Dodge, to get the part numbers for each trans.. Maybe I can get my answer that way.. I did notice that the bell housing looks almost brand new, and the bolts were definately removed/reinstalled.. It's got the beefy input shaft in it.. so, I just need to see what the part number is..

Travis

Here's a few pics..

MustangTrans1.jpg

MustangTrans3.jpg

MustangTrans2.jpg

I talked to the guy today... it is a Cobra T56, with Viper input shaft, upgraded shift forks, and synchro's. Supposedly, that takes care of the "wink link" in the Cobra trans.. All in all.. still a awesome deal for 2K. :) Now, I just need to figure out the transmission mount/crossmember.

Travis

Ahh.. thanks.. :) I just pulled the old trans out.. MAN, what a pain in the @ss! Everything went pretty smooth, except for that top 13mm starter bolt.. we had to use (2) 3/8" swivels, 3 extensions, and several busted knuckles.. My throw out bearing sounds like it's got rocks in it.. lol.. My clutch looked surprisingly decent.. a little glazed, but, still had some meat left to it.

Travis