Vortech or procharger

Eastsidemuscle

Apr 22, 2011
Hey just looking for some opinions

What is the best set up for my car

Vortech v3 air to water complete kit
ProCharger ho kit with the 2 core intercooler8 psi
ProCharger stage 2 complete kit 8,10,12 psi

I'm leaning towards the stage2 kit,do the tunes that ProCharger sets you up with work fairly well?cause after the install I'll dyno tune it could be up to 3 weeks after thou that's why I ask,do the handheld tuners do a good job,I have low miles and wanna be fairly conservative with the boost,just feel I have more options down the rd with the stage 2 system,

03 gt vert.
20 k miles.
Bbk cold air intake,magna flow exhaust all the way back,bbk78 mm tb,steed pulleys,2800-3000 stall,with 410 gears,eibach pro kit,nitto drag radials
Just the basic bolt ons,die really appreciate some feedback,I'm new to 4.6s had a 87 gt back in the day,now I'm disabled from the time I spent in afghanistan,so I can't even do the full install I have a friend that will dive in he is a good wrench,I wanna go kenne bell but with gears&being a auto with a loose converter,that wouldn't be practical

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I just put a stage 2 Procharger setup on my car. My car has high miles but does very well. With 3.73s and a 5 speed, my 1st and 2nd gear are about useless.

The popular vote usually goes to the Vortech sc's. Lots of people on here have em and make good power.

I liked the air to air intercooler of the Procharger. I really didnt want to mess with the aftercooler setup on the vortechs, you have to relocate the battery and the aftercooler system adds alot of weight to the car.

The problem you hear most about the Procharger is that they leak oil. Havent had that problem yet but havent had it on long.

I'll tell you ahead of time though, once you get boost you will want more. I've had this blower on for only a month. Love the power but I am already planning on a smaller pulley and retune in the near future. The stuff is addictive.

Best of luck with it though. :flag:

Thanks for the info

I'm not sure wether to go with a vortech v3 setup but as you said imdont wanna get intomthe after cooler& I like the air to air of ProCharger did you domthe install? I have a local shop that gave me a price of 5400 for a vortech setup @ only 6psi no cooler,the another local wants 5500 for a vortech 2 9psi svt pump 60lb injectors with a Anderson power pipe no inter cooled want ProCharger not many shops around

Don't mess with vortech's aftercooler kit on a 2v. It gets hot. I have the V3SI trim and really like it. However, the Procharger is a little more efficiant and a little better in general. However, it depends on the kit, BOV, quality of piping, fittings, etc.

Thanks for the replys,it is one of the harder things I've had to make a decision on brands,options ect
I'm going to try and see what Livernois motorsports will charge to dyno tune it and the install I got covered,I'm @ the point where I'll order a complete kit and install it with my pops and get it tuned,so now just shopping for the best price on complete kits,

Slayer that's good info thanks do they also install ProCharger?

I am in the same boat as you. I want to run a 8psi kit with everything listed in the sig below. I like the procharger as a package much better, but worry about the leaky blower issue. I was thinking a vortech v-3 with a custom air to air intercooler. Then Id be set.

Iv always liked procharger but Vortechs good to 1 vote for the Procharger from me, and if im not mistaken you said you have Steeda u/d pulleys youll need to swap back to the stock one so the smaller Steeda crank pulley wont underdrive the supercharger, someone correct me if im wrong though

You really cant go wrong with either. I have a Vortech I love it, but I know plenty of guys with Prochargers who love them as well. Id say for ease of installation a Vortech is by far easier. If you are gonna make gobs of horsepower you may lean towards the Procharger for the intercooling setup, but for a typical street setup, Vortech is great!

I personally like the fit of the Procharger better, I have found the supplied tunes to be safe for startup but they are lackluster IMO. Id go for the D series upgrade, cheap to do it up front and you get a really strong, dependable unit.

I find when most Prochargers leak its due to over filling.

Any of those setups can get the job done. If you are still running a stock shortblock, you probably want to stay around 400-420 RWHP. At that level, you should be able to get a complete kit for a lot less than $5500. You might also look at a Paxton unit as well. The same company as Vortech, but they are dramatically different blowers.

Forgot to say, check out superchargersonline.com
Their prices are pretty incredible and they carry just about every kit, accessory, and upgrade you could ask for on every major brand. Their customer service is fantastic. They could definitely save you over the prices you have mentioned.

I know it's not on your option list but after i spent 12grand building a motor i bought a used novi-2000 and a vortech air to water intercooler used, after i bought a huge heat exchanger and a 5gal cell for water in trunk i spend a little over 3200 bucks.. rebuilt novi myself and they are very easy to do and you can buy seals and bearing's at napa, that setup currently makes 12lbs of boost on a everyday driver.. and have had at 21psi on race gas. just a thought..

the only time ive had a problem with my procharger leaking is from belt breakage and getting wrapped up in the pulley. also dont route your valve cover vent tubes into the inlet piping. it will suck oil and you will blow it up. i had oil in the intercooler an in the intake manifold..

the only time ive had a problem with my procharger leaking is from belt breakage and getting wrapped up in the pulley. also dont route your valve cover vent tubes into the inlet piping. it will suck oil and you will blow it up. i had oil in the intercooler an in the intake manifold..

:scratch:

All you have to do is run an oil catch can to solve your oil issue. Um your engine will not simply blow up because you have the pvc valve vented into the intake.