Wandering Steering

I've noticed while driving my 95 GT convertible it has a tendency to suddenly steer to the right or left when driving over a bump or a rut in the road. The car drives straight. Does not pull either way and all steering and suspension is tight. Btw car is all original. Is this known as bump steer. Is there a fix for this.

• Sponsors (?)

There's a rubber disc in the steering column under the hood where it connects to the rack. When those rag joints go bad they can cause a drift and loose steering.

They are cheap and in stock at most local parts stores. The steering shaft from the rack to the part under the booster has to come out to replace it.

Of you have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth with the car off you should be able to tell if its bad.

There's a rubber disc in the steering column under the hood where it connects to the rack. When those rag joints go bad they can cause a drift and loose steering.

They are cheap and in stock at most local parts stores. The steering shaft from the rack to the part under the booster has to come out to replace it.

Of you have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth with the car off you should be able to tell if its bad.
I will take a look. Thanks

I'd say it's either bumpsteer or tramlining. Cause could be a number of things. Alignment specs (too little camber) can also be a cause

Could also be wear and slop in some of the 23 year old bushings...front and rear

So is that rubber thing you all are talkIf about what causes the fox body to have so much play in the fox’s? Feel like in my 91 I can be driving straight and I have so play left and right without making the car shift. I guess that why some ppl buy the flaming river or MM shafts? If so, can you use these on stock rack?

Following ruts in the road is called "tramlining", and these cars are terrible for it. The wider the tires, the worse it is. The more they wear to the inside, the worse it is.

tendency to suddenly steer to the right or left when driving over a bump or a rut in the road.

Just some additional thoughts from what has been suggested.

When you say "suddenly steer" that suggests the steering wheel is turning along with the sudden change in direction. Is that correct? Or does the steering direction change without any change in the steering wheel? Have you noticed if accelerating alone will self correct the steering or do you have to use the steering wheel to right the steering?

Are you braking because of the bump or rut when this happens? If so, do you know what happens if you're not braking?

Finally, not knowing where you live is there a chance you are facing up or down hill when this happens or are you on level ground?

So is that rubber thing you all are talkIf about what causes the fox body to have so much play in the fox’s? Feel like in my 91 I can be driving straight and I have so play left and right without making the car shift. I guess that why some ppl buy the flaming river or MM shafts? If so, can you use these on stock rack?

Rag joints wear out and get sloppy. Their purpose is to numb the steering wheel from every little road inperfection. Easy way to tell if yours is bad is to stand next to your car and wiggle your steering wheel and watch the front wheel. If you can rock it pretty well without the front wheel moving much, prob might want to replace it. They sell them in the help aisle at autozone.

I have the MM shaft and there is no rag joint. Move the steering wheel a tiny bit and you can see the front wheel move immediately. It terms of feeling all road imperfections it's not that bad. I did my own alignment and dialed in a bit more caster to help combat tramlining. At highway speed it's pretty steady