WARNING! scammers lurching in our site

loosescrew79

Dec 18, 2004
Okay here is the story...

A few weeks ago I posted my programmer for sale in the classified section here on stangnet. A couple days later I recieve an e-mail from someone named Gannay Moore. I told him the price was $200 plus shipping. He said he would sent a check to cover everything.

The following week I recieve a check from him. It was a check fro $3000. I instantly thought it was a scam. The check looked very real. It was from Wells Fargo bank in Nevada. The letter was send from Spain. You can see while it raised a red flag to me. I e-mailed the guy and asked why he sent a check for sooo much money. He did not andwer that question but did want me to deposit it and then return the remainder of the money back to him through western union. At which point he would contact the shipping company and arrange for pick up. I was very suspicious but like anybody else I was anxious to see what would happen.

So I went to the bank and emptied my savings account and then deposited the $3000 dollar check. The bank said it would take a week for it to clear. A week later I went to the bank and noticed that the check cleared. I was amazed. I e-mailed the guy to let him know that the check had cleared. He immediatly began replying that I needed to send the rest of the money back to him that day. Multiple e-mails with instructions like send the western union to one name and the shipping address to send the programmer was to someone ese. All very fishy.

I had heard of scams like this before so I waited two day before I went to the bank to withdraw the money. When I went to the bank I was told the check was fake. Had I rushed and sent the money back to him the day it cleared I would have owed the bank $2800. I guess the banks aren't as fast as they need to be when it comes to finding fake checks. I did not reply to the guy since that day although he has sent numerous e-mails asking for his money.

Here comes the worst part. I have been ignoring his e-mails because I don't feel like wasting my time. Now some other guy is e-mailing me with some British Law crap saying I have to sent it back or they'll sue me.. I did not call the police up til this point, knowing it is near impossible to catch thee scammers. But I have started recieving phone calls form this guy wanting his money. What the hell. Needless to say I have now called the cops into this.

I just wanted to pass this on to everyone. This guy tried to scam me off this site. These jerks are everywhere. So be smart when dealing over the internet. Pass this info around.

• Sponsors (?)

That scam is probably as old as my eldest child. Next time he calls or emails you, tell him that you spent the money on a street thug to find and kill him.

I know its old and people try it on all different sites. I just wanted to post it for those who don't know.

This guy is pushy and I say that because I have gotten pretty ugly with him on the phone. Like called him some good names and told him I was tracking him down to beat his a$$. Its quite fun.

be careful with those fake checks. Clark Howard had a guy from San Fran call in talking about how he was arrested for trying to cash a fake check he got from some guy on craigslist. He even went so far as to tell the teller he wasn't sure if it was real or not, and they still arrested him!

www.clarkhoward.com look for the Bank of America story :nonono:

Its almost like those E-bay scams. Where somebodys got a bike for sell for $3000 Buy it now price. The listing is in the US, but when you click on "buy it now" and they contact you, they give you a story that they're actually in Europe now "just moved" and will arrange everything with their shipper and want the money Western Unioned to them. If its too good to be true...:rolleyes:

dont worry about the threats man, i dealed with the same guys. He has all sorts of fake friends. He even goes through a company called usaricargo or something thats supposed to pick the item up from ur house and they actually speak English and claim he's a reputable guy. When i found out he was a fake (long b4 i even got a check) i told him to shove it and that the FBI was now looking into it. He got all pissed and talked about sueing me (lol i hadn't even got a check yet) so i said replied saying that each further e-mail that was sent to me i would not see and is being sent to the FBI to help further thier investigation and to watch your back to piece of $hit Nigerian

My ex-fiance was one of those victims you speak off, a 15,000 fake check though, sold her car on ebay 7,000 grand, and the same story as above.." we sent to much money sorry, if you can send us the differnce , we will come and pick up the car.. " Thank god I just got back from Iraq in time to stop her from sending the car.. LONG STORY SHORT..she now owes the bank 9,200 and she makes payments every mnth.......THATS ANOTHER CAR for most of us..So yes guys, BEWARE...If it wont happen to you, tell you're loved ones and friends about it......These A$$ Hats are everywhere on everysite looking to scam a poor bastard out of hard working money !!!

Man there are so many variations of this scam going around its insane. I work in a bank and we see these type of things very often. Unfortunately the ones who really get burned in these situations are the people (generally the elderly and those without much money). In the past people just stole and forged checks, generally stealing money from the bank, but these scams steal hard earned money from people who generally dont have it.

As i read your story i started to to get a bad feeling in my gut when you said that you went to the bank and the check had cleared. Just because funds from a check are available in your account DOES NOT mean that the check is neccessarily good. In many cases, especially if the check the bank is drawn on is out of state, it can take upwards of 2 weeks for a check to officially be paid or returned by the other bank and for your bank to receive the funds if it is a legitimate check. Most banks will allow you access to the funds before then even if they havent received the money as a service to you. Thankfully you were suspicious and didnt send any money to them and i hope more people read this and take these words to heart.

That scam is probably as old as my eldest child. Next time he calls or emails you, tell him that you spent the money on a street thug to find and kill him.

Yeah that scam is VERY old. happens all the time still. When i had my 98 GT up for sale some guy from like turkey tried to pull the same thing with me :rlaugh:

Murphy's law: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is

You should have seen that a mile away. Hope that works out for you man