Water Pump rotation on a crate 5.0

chepsk8

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2001
Easton, PA
I'm currently running a reverse rotation pump and serpentine belt. I am changing over to a standard pump rotation like on a "V" belt. I'll have to change my water pump, has any one done this swap, and did you encounter any cooling problems?

Many Thanks, asking before I swap so I don't melt the new motor!

• Sponsors (?)

Which pump? The one you'll find at the local parts house listed for a Police, Taxi or HD cooling. That'll be one with a bigger HV impeller. It'll cost you about $30 for a rebuilt, $50-70 for a new unit. It'll cool just like those $150 aftermarket pumps. If you have a 1970-85 std rotation timing cover (or an 86-91 Crown Vic/Town car/Marquis 5.0 cover that's missing the fuel pump boss) And want an aluminum pump, ask for one for a late 88-91 Crown Vic/TownCar/ Marquisapplication.

I've got an HV iron pump on the 302 in the Ranger (pre, mid 88 Vic) and the late 88 std volume aluminum pump on the 331. Autozone listed an HP version of this one but it was a high rpm-small impeller pump. Ain't looked lately but there should be a big impeller pump somewhere for it.