Weird Stalling Problem! Need Help ASAP!

MadHandle8169

Founding Member
May 5, 2002
Brick, NJ
Its been a while since I posted here because of school and now an Internship I have in the summer. However, I need everyones help again. Yesterday when I was leaving the parking lot of my internship I started my car and it idled like a big block with a nasty cam. It loped really bad then just died. I got it started again and tried to drive it home but I didn't get far and it stalled. I also noticed it had virtually no power when I did get it going. I got it towed to my house and am looking for answers. Now when I try to start my car it starts right up but only for about a second then dies. I also noticed fumes or vapors coming from the tailpipes every so often even 5 minutes after the car was off. I'm assuming I have a flooding problem. Did anyone else have a similar problem and what was the remedy? I am going to try changing all the sparkplugs on Monday when I get a day off but until then I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I would start by pulling the KOEO codes and see if anything is stored (no, the CEL does not need to be on for codes to be stored).

Good luck.

You can use a paperclip or bobbypin if you want. Here's some info about doing so.

Otherwise, there's a digital (LCD) read-out code reader out there. It's sold at MidwayAutosupply and at some wally marts and CSK's apparently. 35 bucks. Were I buying a reader, that is the one I would get. I'm sure a ton of guys will post links and info about that reader.

Good luck.

MadHandle8169 said:
Does the reader have to be specific for my Mustang or does it work with many cars?
It will work with most OBD-I Ford cars. It seems to me that this is the unit most folks like.

Good luck.

I ordered the code reader online because my local shop does not have it even though they have it listed on their website and no other shops around here have it. This means I won't get it until later this week because of the holiday. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? I was hoping to get my car running by this wednesday when I have work. Noone has had a similar problem?

As mentioned, you can pull the codes with nothing more than a paperclip.

When it wont start, does it have spark? How about fuel pressure?

Fumes from the tails is not an indication of running rich (there can be a zillion reasons for this).

I would start with basic troubleshooting and go from there. Otherwise, you are going to get pure guesses that are across the board, due to the lack of information.

Good luck.

I don't feel like doing the paperclip method and I was just hoping someone had a similar problem and knew the way to fix it. I'll just wait til the code puller comes in because I ordered it from Summit. I have another question do our cars have a low fuel light that comes on when your gas is really low. The night before the problems I could not find an open gas station and my car went the lowest I have ever taken it on gas. I was maybe wondering if I got bad gas or possibly all the crap at the bottom of the tank screwed something up in the fuel lines. Could this possibly be the problem or would the fuel filter have purified the gas still? I don't know I'm just throwing out guesses like you said.

No low fuel light.

You definately could have a fuel issue. Running the tank low does indeed run all the poop in the tank through the pump, which can damage it. The filter obviously can also catch a lot of crap and become restrictive.

WHen you check pressure, you should have a good idea of what's going on.

Good luck.

with the summer heat here my car did the same thing the other day, only when it was running like butt i saw the voltage gage was everywhere, I tightened up the battery connections (new batter in the winter) all gone, jsut as fast as it started...

Do you want a diagnostic FP gauge or a rail mounted gauge, or a cowl/interior guage?

If considering a gauge which is not viewable when the hood is closed, my personal choice is a diagostic gauge (nice if you have several cars). It reveals the same data in the same situation as a rail mounted gauge (hood up). It's a personal thing with me that I dont like rail mounted gauges - others love them.

Good luck.

Well I finally had time to try out the code reader and I received code 111 which is system passed which is good but at the same time upsetting because I am clueless as to what it is and hopefully it is something stupid. I could only perform the KOEO tests since my car won't run. I also tried to start it and it starts right up for about a half a second then dies. When I get time I'm going to check the fuel pump. Could bad gas cause these symptoms?

WIth it not starting (or continuing to run) I would be checking for spark and fuel pressure (and injector pulsing if needed).
The computer is decent for knowing if some of its sensors took a poop, but not so good at letting you know about component failure - gotta check that yourself.

Good luck.

Ok so for my next step I should invest in a fuel pressure gauge. I am also going to swap out my old spark plugs for some new ones in case they are possibly fouled. I will also check my fuel filter. I hear my fuel pump priming when I turn the key on so does this mean it is working? I will let you guys know how those tests turn out most likely tomorrow evening after work. Thanks.