Welding parking brake handle

BaBiLuTH

Apr 3, 2005
Hey, I was just wondering before I start to make my parking brakes work after the rear disc install, when I weld the second to last tooth on the parking brake lever, how is the handle supposed to stay up once pulled up. I see that the teeth hold the handle once its pulled up so if I weld the teeth to the handle, how will that actually work??

• Sponsors (?)

The teeth you are supposed to weld belong to the self adjusting mechanism only, and they don't affect your handle ratchet system.

What you are doing by welding the teeth, is completely eliminating the self adjusting mechanism, and using a manual adjusting piece underneath the car (the cables).

Here's a pic from Mustang Central..

modpbhandle.JPG

The tab at the top, that folds into the body of the handle has to be ground off. If you havn't done so already, read the e-brake part of this article and you should understand..

http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/brake.html

Attachments

• modpbhandle.JPG
    modpbhandle.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,144
I believe there is another gear inside the handle. The outside teeth are only for the self adjusting mechanism. You are only defeating the self-adjusting mechanism and not affecting the way the parking brake works.

Mavrick said:
The teeth you are supposed to weld belong to the self adjusting mechanism only, and they don't affect your handle ratchet system.

What you are doing by welding the teeth, is completely eliminating the self adjusting mechanism, and using a manual adjusting piece underneath the car (the cables).

I think I was writing mine when you posted :doh: