welding

I'm got some new sheet metal to weld in and I have a miller 135 wire feed welder have been using .030 flux core wire I've been working on a test panel and have had to lower the amps to the lowest setting to keep it from burning through. is there a better way to do this ? I understand to only do spot weld and come back in fill in so not to warp the panel. any info on this skill would be helpful. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I would suggest useing little tacks (hold the arc there for just a little bit in a circular motion like a small circle or "dot" ) and make one tack then on the opposite side so the other end does not lift upwards. When you have it all tacked make the welds longer but like you said fill in areas each a little at a time to spread the heat and avoid warpage. I do no know what you area the plate is going but you do not have to have a solid weld all the way around many things. Alternate stitch welds are very strong save time and material if solid full welds are not required.

Never tried it personally but I've been told flux core wire won't give you good results with thin sheetmetal. Too much heat. I have had good results on thin sheetmetal with .023 MIG wire.