Went To The Track Yesterday And Learned Something

92GreenGT

PEAT
Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Big Stone Gap, VA
Learned my transmission sucks:nice: and the MT ET Street Radials hook hard.

Going to have to pull my tranny out and install the "fix" for the thing not wanting to shift. Going to go with a quicktime bellhousing and the carbon fiber syncro/blocker ring setup on 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. The transmission has shifted on the road so I figured it was OK but turns out it'll only shift with it spinning, I guess it's something to do with the load or something.

Anyways, had fun as always at the track. Best pass was a dismal 12.99 at 119.21 mph with a 2.29 60'.:lol: Considering the condition of the issues I'm pretty happy with the MPH and I know it has a lot more left in it. Hopefully after I pull the trans and install the new mods it'll be in the mid to low 11's at 122-124mph. It was spinning so bad it only went 89.xx mph in the 1/8th but still managed 119.21 by the 1320 mark.

Here is a vid:
YouTube - 12.9@119 dave.avi

That angle doesn't show how sideways the car got in second gear but I have a few more friends that'll be uploading vids today that might get the point across.

Here is a pic of the car with the new track wheels:
IMG_3328.jpg

Needless to say, it was def a learning experience. I won't be happy till the car goes mid to low 11's with this setup at Bristol which is about .2-.4 tenths slower than most tracks. If I get it running that good I'll probably take it to Beech Bend and go for a 10.99 but we'll see.

BTW, a C6Z with DR's, Intake at least(never checked for exhaust and didn't ask if it had a tune) was trapping 119-121mph. So I was decently pleased with the MPH, just have to get all the tranny issues sorted out. Anyone done the new syncro/blocker setup to their TKO and have a before/after comparison? One guy said it'll shift better than a T5 and that's something I really look forward too!:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Nice!!!! The mph tells the tale your going to be in the low 11's easily....:nice:..What mods besides the turbo do you have done?..what is your set-up how much boost? what type of tune?..Im getting to do a turbo install also would love to know your set-up...

Combo is:
Stock bottom end
Stock Cam
Exploder Intake
TFS Heads
AEM
AEM EPM
Hellion Kit
10psi
17* timing
Low 11's AFR

Where I have the EPM/Coil packs on my car my factory tach doesn't work and my laptop was dead so I had no tach(besides my shift light). So I'm going to buy one of the shift lights that show the RPM inside of it so I'll have that for future uses on dialing in my launch RPM.

My overall goals with this stock bottom end is to run in the 10's at 130mph before it blows up. I do drive the car daily, so it gets driven the 70 miles one way to the track and raced then driven back home so the tune is pretty safe.

BTW, just for icing on the cake...the car is "smog" legal and has a catalytic converter on it. :)

Combo is:
Stock bottom end
Stock Cam
Exploder Intake
TFS Heads
AEM
AEM EPM
Hellion Kit
10psi
17* timing
Low 11's AFR

Where I have the EPM/Coil packs on my car my factory tach doesn't work and my laptop was dead so I had no tach(besides my shift light). So I'm going to buy one of the shift lights that show the RPM inside of it so I'll have that for future uses on dialing in my launch RPM.

My overall goals with this stock bottom end is to run in the 10's at 130mph before it blows up. I do drive the car daily, so it gets driven the 70 miles one way to the track and raced then driven back home so the tune is pretty safe.

BTW, just for icing on the cake...the car is "smog" legal and has a catalytic converter on it. :)

Very nice set-up....:hail2:...I will have a simular build..Stock block,stock cam,GT40 heads,1.7 cobra roller rockers, On3 turbo kit 8-10 psi,I think im going with a Trickflow Track heat intake,70mm TB,42lb injectors,Walbro 255 lph gss340 fuel pump,areomotive adjustable FPR, I have an 87 GT AOD,with 3.27's and mild stall speed convertor 2500-2800 rpms...Oh yeah a Pro-M maf.I think im going to use a SCT switch chip tuned to my car...maybe some other way of tuning it..I hope to be in the low 12's maybe 11's:shrug: Keep up the good work keep us posted on your goals....:nice: Oh yeah A/C and smog delete too...

hopefully I'll soon have a similar set-up as you guys, plan is a 70mm turbo with systemax H/C and stockish cam,stock bottom end. Goal is 10s at @125 with 6-8psi, bump up psi if I have to.

Streetability is top priority, rather have a 12 second DD than a 10 second car that sits in the garage all week.

Pic of my sexy self:
IMG_2624.jpg

Pics of buddies cars at the track with me.
Probably the car that done the best out of all of us, 13.26(2.1x 60') at Bristol on a non sticky tire with mufflers/cai as only mods:
IMG_2559.jpg

Ran 12.7x before it broke 4th gear, trapped either high 118 or low 119 on the pass before his 12.7x run:
IMG_2618.jpg

Another Turbo Fox:
IMG_2496.jpg

Friend and his GF racing each other:
IMG_2485.jpg

Before someone comments on the Honda looking like hell, you'll never guess that the owner is a painter as his profession, he just likes for people to look at the car and never think twice. It's a STOCK engine with a custom built turbo setup by The Shop(same place that done my tuning/intercooler piping/etc) and tuned by Scott at The Shop via an AEM and it makes well over 400hp to the wheels on 10-11psi, again...STOCK engine(H22).:nice: He's a fox fan too, so don't hate too bad. ;)

We aren't allowed to run slicks at our track, lol!

Serious? Drag radials are harder on the track than slicks.

Get it to hook better and you'll get even more mph outta it!

I gave it a shot on 17's and MT drag radials...they hooked much better than i thought they would, bogged it big time. Went 11.60's @ 124mph with them, then bolted on the slicks and ran the number in the sig. I want to run 10's with the 17's this year. :Track:

Looks like you had a nice day:nice:..What did the other turbo fox run?

12.8x at 125.xx, he was having a spin fest like I was. His combo is a little stouter than mine but I think I'll be right there with him when I'm on a better pass.
Serious? Drag radials are harder on the track than slicks.

Get it to hook better and you'll get even more mph outta it!

I gave it a shot on 17's and MT drag radials...they hooked much better than i thought they would, bogged it big time. Went 11.60's @ 124mph with them, then bolted on the slicks and ran the number in the sig. I want to run 10's with the 17's this year. :Track:

Your car is awesome. 11.60's is about what I expect mine to run without any changes. I ordered a set of #80 injectors today and will be ordering the tranny mods tonight or tomorrow, once that goes in I think I'll be right there with ya.

As for now though, getting there....haha:nice:

That's my plan, when I get a real wheel tire combo for the track(15" drag wheel and would like a 28" tall ET Street bias ply) that's the tire of choice.

This car has just begun, it gets rode hard and put up wet and we have fun with it. Going to the track tomorrow, so I'll update this thread if it shifts good enough to mention.