What are the pros and cons of forged pistions?

• Sponsors (?)

if you want a power adder or will run a good amount of power, they will hold up better (nitrous, forced induction, both :) , etc).

they do weight a smidge more than cast, hypers, etc, but it is WELL worth it. much more stout IMHO.

HISSIN50 said:
if you want a power adder or will run a good amount of power, they will hold up better to detonation (nitrous, forced induction, both :) , etc).

they do weight a smidge more than cast, hypers, etc, but it is WELL worth it. much more stout IMHO.
with a good tune hyperuwreckedit's will work too....

I agree, there's a reason most supercharger kits aren't more than 9-11 psi....cause unless you have a built engine, there's a high chance of causing damage....I have seen engine with "cast" pistons though running 400 hp....some people get lucky though, I'd rather not take my chances

The only pro that hypers have over forged is that you can run them tighter. On a 4" bore piston to wall clearance for a hyper is .0015-.0025 where a forged piston that same size would be .0035-.0045. This makes hypers better for cold start-up - also less piston rock and cylinder wear. So they're better on a daily driven car. A forged piston is lighter and stronger. A KB Hyper flat top for a 347 is 415 grams where a forged 347 flat top is 381 grams.

What EMW said - the forged units are more ductile than the hypereutectics. Over simplification - under the destructive forces of detonation, forged units "bend before they break" because of the greater ductility; hypers are harder, less ductile - they tend to "break before they bend".