What brake pads to use?

ChrisYellowV6

Dec 25, 2003
Pensacola, FL
My car is in need of getting new brake pads, and I was wondering what kind people reccomend? I have heard ceramics are the best as far as longetivity and dust go, however they take a lot longer to stop. I also heard semi-metallics are softer, easier on the rotors, stop faster (and they're cheaper! not by much though. like $4 front and $5 back). My friend mentioned to me some *forgot the word* metallics, but those run upwards of $80/front, $85/back. I don't really HAVE nor want to spend that much money on my brakes if the cheaper ones will work perfectly fine.

I was looking at these Bendix Semi-Metallic for my car, the front run $39.98 and the back run $44.44 at autozone. (Retail $20 more each). These come with a coupon so whenever they wear out, you send it in and they send you a new pair for free...that's their warranty. So basically you are getting two sets for $90.

Any feelings on pads? Also, i have about 35k miles on my car at the moment, and my rotors havent been turned (to my knowledge)...and i'm not sure if they need to be turned or replaced or nething...they look pretty smooth...would it be agood idea to go ahead and replace them or should I take them somewhere and see if they even need it? i'm afraid that someone would look at them and want the $$ and say theyll turn 'em for $15/wheel (when its not but $25 per wheel for a new rotor), then they'll get down too close to the spec minimimum size and warp and i'll have to get new ones anyway. Anyone know the specs on the size of the rotor vs the spec thickness it has to be?

Thanks,
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

I use Hawk performance brake pads, they are about $50 front & rear. I don't know if local places cary them but you can find them almost anywhere online. They are a non-metallic so you don't get any squealing when it moist out and stop awesome. Rotors sound pretty new so just drop in the pads. If your steering wheel shakes when braking, get them turned imediately.

Hope this helps :flag:

I work at Pep Boys and we sell both EBC and Hawk pads. They are both excellent pads for the money. I know the Hawks for 99+ run $73 here. But we do competitive markdowns.

You can also pcik up some Performance Friction at Autozone which are a very decent pad as well.

If you have an extra car to take, bring the rotors when your buying pads. That way if you happen to need guide pins or lubriplate (HELPS, GET IT), you'll be able to see if they are in spec. Many places will check it, but won't cut them if it puts them out of spec.