What color should I paint my car?

My car will be going in for paint in the next few days or so. I just ordered black 17" wheels along with a carbon fiber hood that will remain unpainted. Call it rice or whatever you want but that's not what this thread is about. I want your opinions on what will look best with these black pieces. Originally I wanted tangerine orange like the color that was available on some of the 96-98 Mustangs(as far as I know) but I'm afraid it would cost too much to make it look right. My other options are a very, very dark metallic red, like a burgandy, a dark gunmetal, or a copper/orange color I saw on a newer RSX. If you don't like any of these colors please suggest what you think would look good with the black wheels and carbon fiber hood. I know many of you will yell "rice" because of the unpainted CF hood, but my inspiration for this was the 2005 Mustang GT-R car which I think looks really nice. Besides, I don't think many ricers have the power to back it up like I do. I'm sick of every other Mustang on the street being a boring factory color with lame Cobra R wheels that everyone has.

I'll be doing all the prep work including scuffing up my current teal paint, masking, and primering myself to save some money. It will probably be sprayed by Maaco or some other cheapy place. From what I've been reading this is fine as long as I do a good prep job myself. I'll start another thread with all the pictures of this process as soon as I have time. Also, the car will have one piece black halo headlights. Like I said, I'm sick of people hating on every Mustang that doesn't have the same old wheels and paint as everyone else so I'm going to mix things up a bit.

• Sponsors (?)

1105 said:
Why not do the same paint scheme as the 2005 GT-R then :shrug: If thats what inspired you why not turn your car into it?

What he said....I dont believe anyone Iv'e seen Tangerine on a 95 yet....The local Ford dealer got a 96 in that color with Black Lemans stripes....It looked good...So good i took it out and beat the snot out of it.... :D

What style wheels in Black ???

stprorolla49 said:
rio.....sounds like you did what the guys did on that ebaums world video when the test drove the '03 cobra and beat the **** outta it doin burnouts and pwerslides around corners..... :D

Not quite that bad.... :D I took it to a buds house who had never been in a Mustang....I said jump in...brought it up to like 5500 and dumped it....He was like WTF this is brand new....I had it for like 2 hrs...
Some local woman bought it and still has it today....another reason I like nil for miles on cars when I buy em....a-holes like me playing with em... :nonono:

If I had those colors to chose from, I would definately go with the copper/orange color. It's definately a ballsy move with the CF hood (great choice by the way).

What style are the black rims? If they are tasteful and not too flashy then I think it will look tight. There's nothing wrong with adding a modern touch to a muscle car, screw the "purists."

sunset_orange_firebird.jpg

Man I love this color. 2002 firebird. Too bad it's a GM color.

I think I saw a similar color on a 96-98 mustang, but I don't know what the color is called, nor the paint code.
Scott

Thanks for the replies guys. Here's a link to the wheels. http://www.groupawheels.com/vapordeep.html I already ordered them, just have to drive to the shop to get my Nitto drag radials mounted and get some front tires. The reason I'm not going for the whole 2005 GT-R look is because the Maaco guy(yeah, I know, maybe not the best person to take advice from) said that because my car is already teal, it would take 3-4 layers of orange paint to make it vibrant. I just can't afford that right now. I'll call around some other shops though. I've been reading this book I got for Christmas about painting your own car and it's helped a lot.

OMG your bought the VAPORS!!!! Those wheels are sick!!!! I have been telling my brother he needs to buy them for the black mach 1 he just bought. Good choice!! I like your style (besides the headlights :D no offense just dont dig those style) and I think your car is really going to come out nice when your done!

Thanks mystang94gt, it took me about 3 months of searching to finally find those wheels. I was ready to spend waaaaaay more money on some wheels I didn't even like that much because I wanted gunmetal/black wheels. Then I found these and they're actually distributed by a company in Chandler, AZ which is pretty close to me living in Tempe.

Well I saw them in MM&FF in 18x9 and nearly let one go in my boxers. I love dark wheels with the polished or brushed lips and the price on those is killer. I would love to replace my bullits with those in 18x9 but dont see it happening any time soon. Your in tempe huh? I went out there a few years back for the NMRA races and partied in downtown tempe. Great area.