What did I do???? Long post

WhiteFizzo

Founding Member
May 17, 2000
Virginia Beach Va
I am going through the AOD to T5 swap. Two weekends ago I began, but found out that the nuts on the two header studs on the driver side were not going to come out without breaking something. So, I tell the wife that I need new headers in order to continue. A few days later the FRPP headers are here and now I am ready for this weekend to complete the transmission swap. Well, while I was under the car the I accomplished 2 things. I put in new U joints and I put new O2 sensors in the stock H pipe. Now it is 2 weeks later and I have a problem. I was almost to work today when my idle got really low and crazy. It sounds like I have a cam. Then on the way home, about 2 minutes after I cranked the car up, it started again. By the time I got home, the transmission was shifting really wierd, it didnt want to downshift so the engine was bucking pretty good. I pop the hood and there is smoke coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. I cant tell what is smoking, but it appears to be directly above the first catalityc converter on the passenger side. At first I thought it might be a vacuum leak, but I didnt think they would cause sporatic automatic transmission operation and something to get so hot it smokes. Anyone have this issue before?

• Sponsors (?)

One more thing. While I was driving home today, when I came to a stoplight the car would idle about 800 rpms and drop to just below 600 rmps over about a 30 seconds. Vacuum problems? This started all of the sudden today.:bang:

I agree. The swap is going to happen this weekend. :nice: However, I would like to have a driveable car when it is all said and done.

Does anyone know what would happen if one of my new O2 sensor wires melted on the pipe? I'm going to check this tomorrow. I just figured if something like that happened that I would get a CEL.