What Do You Think About Auto Meter Gauges

ryan218

In just 10 years, I'll be old enough to drive!!!!
Dec 28, 2005
columbus ohio
since my car is 23 years and i want new gauges i would like to get the Auto Meter Phantom series. i was going to buy the speedometer. RPM gauge, oil pressure, water temp, and the volt meter. anyone know what this will run? i will also be getting on of them panels that are made dot he auto mete gauges. they run like 175 i believe.

a couple of the gauges says. for example.

fuel level gauge. says it requires the 701-1642 fuel level sender. what is involved in installing these gauges?

speedometer- Requires mechanical take offs? whats that? dose the mean getting rid of the speedometer cable fromt he old cluster? this is all new to me.

volt meter- say separate wire kit recommend? :shrug:

so some of these question may be REALLY stupid but so far none has been able to answer any of my question.

anyone else have auto meter gauges. if so please post and tell me how you liek thema nd take a picture of how you go yours setup? thanks.

thanks guys. :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Go on summitracing.com, look up everything you want, and add it all to the cart and it will tell you the total cost. I have all autometer sport comp gauges, I have 6 in the cluster and 2 on the pillar and I've spent probably around 5 or 6 hundred dollars on the whole set up.

Its confusing as hell, Don't worry you're not the only one who struggles here. Find someone with experience like pistonhead said... But even at around 600 bucks, its well worth it... Go for it and buy them, once they're in you will not regret it. Youll wonder how you made do before.

If you go to florida50.com you can order a panel or a panel with the gauges set up in it. the one with the gauges is already wired up, with connectors, so all you would need to do is get out the repair manual and make sure you hook the wires up right.

Rtanger84 said:
I personally wouldnt waste my money on guages for a 6 popper id save it for engine parts for that 351..
its going to need gauges anyway when the 351 gets built. or a stroked 302. i may sell the 351

the gauges wont hurt anything. there 23 years old right now and just about every needle flickers lol. so they need them. and engine parts i think would cost alot more right now lol. and im not going to start building the engine till i turn 16. i dont want to build it and then have it sitting for 2 years.

so far i have 450 saved back for the engine build and anther 400 sitting in my lil safe that i can spend. so after i get another 200 or so i will starting buying gauges.

ALSO my mom said she may give me 200 this weekend for helping her with stuff she needed done last week.cleaning the house for her while she was out of town :notnice:

so i mean no harm done in getting newer and better gauges :shrug: plus they will look cool.

ryan218 said:
its going to need gauges anyway when the 351 gets built. or a stroked 302. i may sell the 351

the gauges wont hurt anything. there 23 years old right now and just about every needle flickers lol. so they need them. and engine parts i think would cost alot more right now lol. and im not going to start building the engine till i turn 16. i dont want to build it and then have it sitting for 2 years.

so far i have 450 saved back for the engine build and anther 400 sitting in my lil safe that i can spend. so after i get another 200 or so i will starting buying gauges.

ALSO my mom said she may give me 200 this weekend for helping her with stuff she needed done last week.cleaning the house for her while she was out of town :notnice:

so i mean no harm done in getting newer and better gauges :shrug: plus they will look cool.
Why not change all the sensors that make each guage work? Thats usually what causes them to flicker. Or buy a used guage cluster in decent shape. Personally i wouldnt go spending all that money on guages i would keep putting it towards the engine..

yeah but he will still need those, when you put a nice engine in there that you saved all your money for, its nice to know what its doing, so you dont buy youself a new engine, believe me, this is how my svo went out on me, because the stupid factory gauges didnt work properly.

Josh

The gauge voltage regulator is what normally causes them to flicker. I think you should wait a while before you do it. You need to wait untill you have some more experience and skills before you atempt something like that. If you destroy a gauge, your dash, or burn up your dash wiring harness you will be screwed.

He is gonna have to change the wiring anyway when he converts it to a 5.0 so why waste the money now that is my whole point its useless now to buy then just to tear them out next year

795.0pacecar said:
The gauge voltage regulator is what normally causes them to flicker. I think you should wait a while before you do it. You need to wait untill you have some more experience and skills before you atempt something like that. If you destroy a gauge, your dash, or burn up your dash wiring harness you will be screwed.

im not doing it my self. one thing i hate is electrical work. my dad and Todd ( one with the 88 gt) will help me. also the guy who will be storing my car this winter for me. it will be getting painted and stuff then to. im guessing about 4 weekends. to get it all don't on the paint for the out side then a weekend or two at the most to paint all the brown black inside the car.

Rtanger84 said:
He is gonna have to change the wiring anyway when he converts it to a 5.0 so why waste the money now that is my whole point its useless now to buy then just to tear them out next year

not really. just set the rpm gauge to 8 cyl right? :shrug:

i am carbed. and i still havent decided if i just want to sell this downt he road and buy a v8 coupe or what yet. :shrug: idk mayeb for now ill just get the white face over lay and the blue lights an save the money i have for other things. :shrug: