What exhaust should i put on my 95 GT

Nick95GT

Oct 20, 2008
right now i got whatever is stock, i think its a catted h-pipe. but i hear so many different opinions i jus dont know what to do. i hear flowmaster and bassani are pretty good. ive also heard that borla is the best. so i dont know. theres to many choices. then i dont know if i should put an h or an x pipe and if i should get it catted or off-road. IM SO LOST! i dont know too much about exhaust and i jus want to make sure i make the right choice, and i dont really want to spend that much money either.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you need to stay emissions friendly?

I've always been a fan of a Mac offroad Prochamber paired with Mac's flowpath mufflers. I had it on my 04 and now I have it on my 92...except now its got dumps. Mac's exhaust components have been questioned for their ability to last a long time, but they're relatively cheap too.

It has some drone, but to me sounds very deep and muscular.

no i dont need to stay emmisions friendly. whatever sounds best at best price ya know. as u can tell i dont know to much about exhaust. i got 130,000 miles on my stang, do i have to replace everything with the exhaust from the tailpipes all the way to the headers, or do i jus replace a certain section

for the best results everything needs to be replaced, but your mid pipe and the mufflers will make the biggest change.
an H pipe will give you that low throaty growl while an X pipe has more of a Nascar raspy sound to it.

Most setups come complete if you get a mid-pipe and cat-back.

I've heard a lot of good things about Bassani. Borla just has always seemed overpriced. I'm sure it sounds great, but nobody ever wants to seem to pay that much for them.

Whatever you buy, get some PB blaster and soak the crap out of the nuts holding the mid-pipe to the "headers." Considering your cars age and if they've never been removed, they're likely pretty damn rusted on. Not sure abuot the 95...but I know on 99+'s those bolts were in a very awkward spot requiring several swivels and extensions.

but i already got an h pipe on it right now, and i just dont think it sounds that low or growly. i know what u mean and thats the exact sound i want. ive just heard that x-pipes will make the biggest change and make it sound different in a better way cause an h pipe is what comes on it stock. i dont really want a nascar type sound, i still want a low muscle type growl. i think it sounds sweet if ur just sittin in nuetral and u rev up the engine a lot and it sounds really low and as soon as u let off it pops a couple of times. know what im talkin bout?...

If you're still running stock, while it may be an H-pipe....its still probably not as free-flowing as an aftermarket H-pipe is.

The Prochamber is more like an H pipe, but to me it sounded a little lower.

Ditching the cats and going with an o/r pipe is going to make a huge difference in sound. Changing the mufflers to something aftermarket will as well.

When I had my setup on my 4.6L.....it was very very low and deep at idle and low RPM's and got louder and more aggressive at higher rpm's. Based on what you describe, I would go with an offroad H pipe or mac prochamber....and some sort of chambered muffler like a flowmaster or Mac flowpath. Those would be your most reasonably priced options. If you wanted to spend a little more, then step up to a Bassani cat-back or something I guess.

later I'll try to post up a vid of the Mac setup I had on my 04GT and the one I currently have on my 92 5.0. Granted, my 92 has a more aggressive cam, heads, intake, etc....but you'll get some idea of the sound. Just ignore the cam lope at idle. :D

Spintech mufflers will also put a nasty growl in there, but they do tend to get loud. it all depends on what you want. tone or volume.
I kind of like them b/c not everyone and their grandmother is running them(insert flowmaster here).

The hardest part about this kind of thread is that everyone has a favorite sound. I suggest hopping on Youtube and listening to different setups as there are many vids on there of all different types of exhaust on our 5.0's. Then you can hear it for yourself and decide from there. Of course, you will have to account for video quality, but I am basing my new exhaust off of one I heard on there.

Yeah, it really is all subjective. Vid clips help and you can usually get them from a variety of places, including Youtube.

Most of what has been said here is a pretty common opinion on exhausts. Things like the H-pipes being more lower toned while X-pipes have more of that rasp....etc.

but i already got an h pipe on it right now, and i just dont think it sounds that low or growly. i know what u mean and thats the exact sound i want. ive just heard that x-pipes will make the biggest change and make it sound different in a better way cause an h pipe is what comes on it stock. i dont really want a nascar type sound, i still want a low muscle type growl. i think it sounds sweet if ur just sittin in nuetral and u rev up the engine a lot and it sounds really low and as soon as u let off it pops a couple of times. know what im talkin bout?...

if you dont want a nascar sound dont get an x-pipe, bc thats what it'll sound like, more so than the h or prochamber. removing the cats will make it a lot louder. from what you're saying sounds like you want either an h pipe or prochamber. the prochamber will smooth out the sound a little more, but the h will be a little louder IMO. and if you like the popping, then a straight thru muffler is what you want like a borla or some sort of race mufflers, or even a muffler delete like LM's, but w/ loudness come a sacrifice of quality. to me it can never be too loud. but for a more classic mustang sound stick w/ a chambered muffler like flowmaster. i lke the mac flowpaths or spintechs for something a little different. if you want to make it as loud as you can and get more performance, get LT's too.

someone else jus told me that what ur sayin is true. the off road h pipe might sound lower and maybe not as loud as an x pipe. but he said that if ur lookin to get more horses out of ur engine too, then u should go with an x pipe cause it flows better or somethin like that. i also want to get more horsepower out of my stang if i can so im thinkin about tryin off road x pipes now. im sure ill probably end up puttin cold air intake on it sometime later too, cause thats fairly cheap and can add a lot of horsepower. any suggestions on cheap things to add more hp to my 95 gt?

im sure ill probably end up puttin cold air intake on it sometime later too, cause thats fairly cheap and can add a lot of horsepower. any suggestions on cheap things to add more hp to my 95 gt?

ps. a cold air intake will not give you a lot of horsepower. you wont be able to tell a difference unless you have an unreal sotp meter. but they are fairly cheap and give the engine bay a better look. i got an unknown brand off ebay for mine and it worked flawlessly, there is no point in spending a bunch of money on a cai because they dont do that much

Once you do more to the engine, then the CAI becomes relatively important, but on a stock engine its more for the look then a big power adder. For relatively low cost power mods I would start with underdrive pullies, an off road H or X pipe, new catback exhaust, and some 3.73 or 4.10 gears for the rear end depending on what transmission your car has.

Edit: The gears wont give you power, but make you car accelerate faster making it feel more powerful.

I just put the magnaflow cat-back with magnapack mufflers on my 94 GT and it sounds wonderful. Nice low growl, but screams at WOT.

I'll be putting in an o/r x here shortly (leaning towards the pypes x-change, so I can easily swap cats in for inspection- Virginia is just visual emissions) when I have a little more cash-on-hand (was gonna buy this week, but found a TFS intake for $250 w/ the 3/8" spacer and couldn't pass it up :D). I hear the magnapacks get REALLY loud with an o/r x.

I second the suggestions to "shop" around youtube sound clips to find something you like. That's exactly what I did. If you decide to go the magnaflow route, shop around, I got mine for $330 from Jegs (w/ a pricematch).