What gear is in my 7.5 rearend?

• Sponsors (?)

could it be lower? Cause this thing feels low--like ALMOST too low gear for a street car to me. But the tach it way off and it has open exhaust right now so that could be throwing me off. Also, it spins both wheels--I thought that was wierd. I have been building this car since October and Sunday was the first time for me to drive the car really, so I don't know what kind of fuel mileage I am getting yet. I am telling you it feels looow though. I keep forgetting to spin the tires and count the driveshaft revolutions when I have it on jack stands.
How does that work anyway? Count the drive shaft revolutions per one revolution of the tire, right?

You can check your door tag for the axle code. I believe auto 4 cyls came with 3.73s to make up for the anemic engine.

This is true. My friends car (an ex-4cyl auto) had a rear with 3.73's. Its in my 90 for now as a loaner until I feel like putting the rebuilt 8.8 back in it. I guess that would be a good spring project for my next weekend off.

how much hp can the 7.5 take? I have one in my car and an 8.8 is pretty low on the list due to budgetary reasons. I have a gt40 motor that will be in the 275 range.

I looked at the tag and wrote down what it said, but I left it in my office. 373 was at the beginning of the second row of numbers though. I don't know how much they can take--but I plan to give it hell. Is it wierd that it is a posi?