what happens when a trac-loc wears out?

wesl56

Dec 26, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
hey guys, im using a 7.5" rear end out of an 84 SVO, it had stock t-loc and now im guessing that its worn out... so i just want to verify...

the car was running perfect and then i parked it the other night on a slightly downward hill (nose of car pointing downhill) and when i went to reverse it out of the parking spot, i let out the clutch and the car seems like it just nudges backwards and then stops... if i give it gas it just revs and makes a slight squeaking sound.... the driveshaft is turning, so it must be something in the rear, correct? even if i put it in first while holding the brake and let the clutch out, the engine doesnt die, just kinda hear a squeaking from under the car....

im assuming since it nudges backwards a little, and since i didnt hear anything break, that my tloc is just worn out and slipping... whatcha guys think??

• Sponsors (?)

i would say there is more of an issue then a worn out t-loc. Sounds like what my car was like when i had a snapped axle shaft. Any chance you can jack your car up and pull on the tires. If one slids right out you snapped a axle. Usally when a t-loc wears out you just do 1 wheel peels but you can still move the car.

Being that this is a 7.5 rear end, I'm putting money on something being broken internally, rather than worn out. Pop off the cover and look at the innards of the Trac-loc. I bet you're looking at replacing the entire unit and may be better off swapping in an 8.8 and calling it a day.

Being that this is a 7.5 rear end, I'm putting money on something being broken internally, rather than worn out. Pop off the cover and look at the innards of the Trac-loc. I bet you're looking at replacing the entire unit and may be better off swapping in an 8.8 and calling it a day.

If your driveshaft rotates but the tires remain stationary then you have something broken in the rear axle. Possibly snapped axle shaft, broken pinion gear or side gear in differential. Repair or replace the rear axle.

well after taking it apart it seems one of the spring retainers in the differential broke... weird.... what would cause that to happen?? everything else was in good shape.... got a new ford racing diffy on the way