What is normal oil operating temperature?

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. I installed an oil temp gauge from AutoMeter, and I was wondering what the normal temperature is for motor oil under idle and normal driving conditions. I'm seeing temps between 125-150*, 150 when idling, 125 when driving at low RPM. Can anyone tell me what the oil temp should be? My numbers seem pretty low. I didn't put the sender in the oil pan like Autometer said, instead I installed it on a T fitting with the autometer pressure gauge up where the stock pressure sender used to be. I figure that so long as it's in the oil, it should read the temp, but if I come to find my numbers are way off, I'll move it to the pan.

• Sponsors (?)

Bummer. I called AutoMeter, and they said that the temp gauge sender has to be in the pan, where oil will flow across it. They said the T fitting won't allow that to happen. I don't want to punch my pan if I can avoid it, so I am going to try and find an adapter bung that will fit where the front drain plug goes. That way it's in the oil, and it's protected behind the sway bar, and I didn't have to blow a hole in the pan.

Actually, I have the gauge because I got it in a cheap package deal with a oil pressure gauge, so I might as well use it. I'm going to move it to the pan this weekend hopefully. I think fitting a bung in the pan is more cost effective to buying a blower to get the gauge to work properly :D

some of you might be surprised at how hot your oil temps are. it can be at the reasonable limit of dino oil's comfort zone.

Astronut, sorry - i was not trying to be a smarty pants on your other thread (posting info you already had found out). earlier, i only had time to check email (but not cruise stangnet); i did not know you had another thread goin on the oil temp. :)

I'm going to put a gauge on mine, only because of of the larger 3inch mains. If it's under 230-240 I wont really worry, any hotter though i'll do a cooler. FWIW, mobil one (i run 15-50) claims it protects with oil temps up to 400*.

I jsut got done moving my temp sender to the pan. I replaced the front drain plug with a fitting that accepted the probe, so now it's in the pan. I changed my oil, and ran the car for like 5 minutes. The gauge didn't even move. I hope it's not broken or anything, and I know it's hooked up. How long should oil take to get above like 100*? Also, when I changed the oil, 5 qts went in a month ago, and only 3 1/2 came out today. What's up with that? I know a little stays in the oil filter, and a little will stay in the motor, but there's alot of oil missing. I don't think I'm burning much at all, because all my gaskets are new and I don't have any major blowby (175psi compression on all cylinders during test, and no white smoke in exhaust). I also don't think I'm leaking it, because the bottom of my motor stays pretty clean. Where's the oil going?

Oh, and this isn't the first time this has happened, seems like everytime it's 5 in 3.5 out. I think it might have to do with a leaky broken valve cover I had, because I replaced it the other day and changed the oil today. I guess the next change will be the determining factor.

what is the level before you change it?
also, a FL 1A should hold nearly a quart, IIRC. Tom probably knows better than i.

oil does take a little time to heat up. run it till youre up to temp and see what gives.

is the probe long? i wonder if the hump keeps much oil from submerging the probe, esp when the motor is running (sump is not full, as oil is being circulated).

my couple cents worth. good luck.

i think the oil just didn't heat up. the oil level is good before i drain it, and i empty the filter into the catch pan.unless there's still a qt in the filter absorbed into it after i pour it out, then there's oil missing.

astronut1885 said:
unless there's still a qt in the filter absorbed into it after i pour it out, then there's oil missing.
i think there could be close to that amount. when you prefill a filter before installing it, it can take close to a quart. but the media is not totally saturated. so even with your pouring the 'loose' oil back into your pan, the media could still be holding close to a quart, IMHO.