What is this?

JBeezy53

Dec 28, 2003
Sacramento, Ca
Just found this sensor under my upper intake, it was zip tied to a vacuum hose. I think its was water temp sensor but there is already one on the lower intake with another wire connected to that. My water temp guage works.

Picture113a.jpg

Attachments

• Picture113a.jpg
    Picture113a.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Sponsors (?)

Yea thats the ACT Air Charge Temp sensor, it goes in the number 5 inlet intake runner(should be right by the number 5 or 6 fuel injector). You would have to take the upper manifold off to install/remove it. Im assuming the hole has been plugged or else you would have one big vacuum leak...The sensor is connected to the computer and helps with the proper air/fuel mixture (i think) the colder the air it senses the more fuel it puts in. I would fix that right away. you might gain a few mpg if u get that back in there, but might lose a tad bit of power? I think there was a little gadget on ebay somewhere that would give the computer false air temp reading which would put in little more fuel and supposedly give u a few ponies, but i never liked that stuff

Hmm, black steel valve covers on an '89?

You running an Explorer Intake? That coule be why the sensor is not installed in the manifold. If there is no hole drilled for it, extend the wiring and install it in the Air Inlet tubing.

Ok, new problem. Does the ACT sensor go on the upper or lower manifold? I looked at some stock lower manifolds on ebay and there was a spot to the inside of the 5th runner, well on my intake it is flat right there. The hole was never cast. But if it goes into one of the holes on the bottom side of the upper intake I have an open hole there that has a steel plug in it. So is the ACT sensor on the upper or lower manifold? I'll get a pic of the lower.

Mustang5L5 said:
Hmm, black steel valve covers on an '89?

You running an Explorer Intake? That coule be why the sensor is not installed in the manifold. If there is no hole drilled for it, extend the wiring and install it in the Air Inlet tubing.

Yep black steel covers. I'm runnin a stock intake. (I think, read post above)

JBeezy53 said:
Ok, new problem. Does the ACT sensor go on the upper or lower manifold? I looked at some stock lower manifolds on ebay and there was a spot to the inside of the 5th runner, well on my intake it is flat right there. The hole was never cast. But if it goes into one of the holes on the bottom side of the upper intake I have an open hole there that has a steel plug in it. So is the ACT sensor on the upper or lower manifold? I'll get a pic of the lower.

Yea anywhere that gets airflow

JBeezy53 said:
Yep black steel covers. I'm runnin a stock intake. (I think, read post above)

I don't think you are. I think you have an explorer intake. The stock intake does have the hole for the sensor cast, the explorer does not.

Plus the black Valve covers are not stock either.

take pics of your intake/engine

Well all this makes me wonder about the rest of my engine. I do have a Performer intake and TFS stage 1 cam I'll be putting in, I'm just waiting to get heads. Were Mustang 5.0 HOs the only 5.0s that had forged pistons?

Though I have not seen them before, it kinda looks like you might have the 10 pin extenders (the extra electrical connectors you are asking about).

I should have clarified my post, after reading MM's. He might have answered the question - I was lookin at the connector behind the 10 pins. The front ones (vertically mounted) are the stock 10 pins, like he said.

Yeah, it was a recall for 89-later Mustangs.

WHen the engine twisted when it revved, it tended to pull the 10-pin connectors apart. So Ford's fix was to install an extension harness.

If you pull the harness out, you can see you can remove the extension and clean that area up a bit. If you unclip then from the intake and tuck them down, you won't have to worry about them pulling out