Paint and Body What order to reinstall GT body kit?

AnthonyA1234

Aug 17, 2020
Florida
Putting my GT back together after getting painted. It still needs a wet sand so my paint and body guy told me to just put the bumpers on and not the body kit ground effects.

My question is, can I put the bumper on now and attract the body kit pieces later? Or does the body kit piece slide between the bumper and fender?

• Sponsors (?)

It’s a 92 GT, just like the one in the Brew2L video thumbnail. The pieces I’m talking about are the far left, and far right arrows in the thumbnail.

I’m guessing they have to go on at the same time as the bumper since they slide between the car and the bumper?

Why not put the whole car together and color sand and polish all at once? I don’t see an advantage with just installing the bumpers only in this case.

I believe the front fender extensions can go on after the front cover. They look like this o the back side:

1714654277092.jpeg

Another picture with the top bracket installed:

1714657711062.jpeg

Here is a decent video of a front bumper cover replacement and you can see how the extensions bolt to the front bumper cover starting around 3:10. Would have been nice if he showed how the extension is removed but no such luck.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WGKo5V-OTM

Another video showing (starts at about 1:25) how they attach to the front bumper cover and how the body molding attaches:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edVkPFcekyw

As for there rear extensions here is an add for them on eBay that has some good pics:

This one shows how they attach but I do not see why they have to be installed before the rear bumper.

1714657277238.jpeg

I will also say that I have never installed or removed any of this from a GT. From the pictures and videos I have seen I thin that the front and rear bumper extensions can be removed and installed if the front or rear bumper is already attached.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I was told that you can’t get the rotary machine everywhere on the car if the molding and body effect pieces that stick out are on because they’ll get in the way
Yeah, I get it. Sounds like your color sanding and polishing the whole car from top to bottom, eh?

I redid all the body and paint in my car 5-6 years ago, I want to say I installed the quarter and fender ground effects first before installing the bumper covers. I was lucky enough to have a seasoned painter refinish my car, he laid out the clear coat perfect. I only had to sand out and polish a few spots where a little dirt landed in the clear coat.

My thread documenting that is in Stangnet somewhere.

I believe the front fender extensions can go on after the front cover. They look like this o the back side:

1714654277092.jpeg

Another picture with the top bracket installed:

1714657711062.jpeg

Here is a decent video of a front bumper cover replacement and you can see how the extensions bolt to the front bumper cover starting around 3:10. Would have been nice if he showed how the extension is removed but no such luck.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WGKo5V-OTM

Another video showing (starts at about 1:25) how they attach to the front bumper cover and how the body molding attaches:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edVkPFcekyw

As for there rear extensions here is an add for them on eBay that has some good pics:

This one shows how they attach but I do not see why they have to be installed before the rear bumper.

1714657277238.jpeg

I will also say that I have never installed or removed any of this from a GT. From the pictures and videos I have seen I thin that the front and rear bumper extensions can be removed and installed if the front or rear bumper is already attached.

Thanks alot !

Yeah, I get it. Sounds like your color sanding and polishing the whole car from top to bottom, eh?

I redid all the body and paint in my car 5-6 years ago, I want to say I installed the quarter and fender ground effects first before installing the bumper covers. I was lucky enough to have a seasoned painter refinish my car, he laid out the clear coat perfect. I only had to sand out and polish a few spots where a little dirt landed in the clear coat.

My thread documenting that is in Stangnet somewhere.
Yep haha. Finally got the car back after waiting almost 8 months. Got it painted ford tuxedo black

Attachments

• IMG_9295.jpeg
    IMG_9295.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9297.jpeg
    IMG_9297.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
The less 'stuff' attached to the body when color sanding/buffing the better. Makes clean up easier and better.
The bumper cover on or off when buffing is generally up to the individual painter/body man, some like them on some don't, I found off makes for a more detailed buff/polish but harder to hold still, on it's hard to get under or up to the edges :shrug: