what parts bolt on?

stangs4me

Apr 21, 2006
Las Vegas
I am going to be picking up a 78 cobra from my uncle here pretty soon. I recently had an 84 mustang that we totaled from behing and I wanted to know if the rear end component ie. diff, gears, will bolt into the rear end of a 78? I know they are both 8.8 but are there things that won't bolt on? Also I have some centerline drag lites from that car front 165 R15 and rear 275/50 R15

• Sponsors (?)

Wheels should be the same bolt pattern. The rear axle assembly, as a whole, should fit, but it won't exactly be a bolt-in affair. The diff parts themselves won't interchange as the II uses a totally different axle. The Engine/trans (if it's a 5.0) could be utilized provided you have the right parts to fit it into the II. Not really much you can use off the fox as it is a totally different chassis platform, not to mention a total re-design from the II. :shrug:

so the mustang II doesn't use an 8.8 rear end? something new I didn't know. Thanks.
On the other note you think the wheel sizes will fit on the car?
My plan for the car is to utilize the 347 internals from my old car and implement them into this one. So, as you can see I will be needing to build the whole thing up. Probably a new rear-end, suspension, possible k member, so on and so forth... I read some about the 5 lug conversion from the 4 lug and I'm not sure if it is going to be worth it. Anyone know if the ford racing conversion for a fox body will somehow work?

If you have the 8" 'drop out carrier' rear axle, changing to 5 lug shouldn't be a problem. Orrr... if you can operate a welder and have the skills, you could fit the 8.8 axle out of a fox into the II. The front end is a chich, since the aftermarket uses the II front-end in street rods, there are out of the box rotors in just about any bolt pattern necessary. :nice:

This 347 deal you talking about. Are you saying you're gonna take the guts out of one engine and put it into the other? Remember... there IS an imbalance issue between the 302s beginning in '80. If that 347 crank is not the correct balance for the rest of the pieces you plan on using, you will have a couple diferent avenues you'll have to try to get it all to work.

I decided I wasn't going to use the crank I have but purchase another to fit the 78 block. I am also forced to purchase another cam because I am almost positive the firing order is different. What crank and cam would be a nice fit? I am going for a higher compression, and not looking for this to be a daily driver eventhough work is only 3-4 miles away so it wouldn't be a big issue. I have a brand new holley, what i'm almost positive is a 650, street avenger carb. I know this is a lot of questions but where can I look for a complete dual exhaust?

The roller cam will only work in the older 302 block if you get the aftermarket roller lifters with special bolt-in lifter tray.
The firing order means nothing. Just be sure to wire the dist. cap correctly for whatever cam you're running. The firing order is 15426378 if it's an old 302 cam, or, if I recall, 13726548 if it's an HO or 351W cam.

Unless you're going to run a stroker crank, all the stock 302 cranks/rods are all the same dimensionally and offer no increases in compression. The pistons, however, are the area of concern and is where you gould grab the extra compression since there is a wealth of different pistons available. :nice:

The bolt pattern is the same for the wheels, but I have a set of Turbines from an '85 (I was told they are '85) and the backspacing is wrong on my '78 fastback; they rub at the ball joints in the front and just barely in the rear. They need at least 1/2" of spacing.

I don't believe all Cobra IIs are 302. If it is a 302 and the engine isn't in the car make SURE you get all the pieces from the original setup. Particularly the pan, pullies, motor mounts (eng & frame), trans x member, radiator. You can make other parts kinda take the place of these but trust me they don't, ask how I know. The radiator is a 1 year 1 eng item and if you have to buy a correct one it will hurt your feelings. The MII dosn't have a removeable K member. If you want to do something use a Granada 11" 5 on 4.5 brake setup in the front and bolt a Versaills 9" with disks. With that setup mine was using factory chrome Magnum 500s with 60 & 50 series tires. You can get long tube headers and the exhaust I liked used Headman(i think) long tubes with the both tail pipes exiting on the r/h side with Supertraps.