Suspension What Rack Bushings For Aje K-member Using 3/4" Bolts

rbrown777

5 Year Member
Jul 22, 2017
Riverview, FL
My 1992 Mustang has an aftermarket (AJE Racing) K-member, that doesn't look like anything in their current catalog (all round tube). The steering rack bolts are actually welded in as part of the K-Member. I don't know if this was done by the previous owner, or if it was offered by AJE.

Steering Rack Bolt.jpg

The problem is, the bolts are 3/4" diameter, rather than the skinnier bolts with 5/8" sleeve that I see being used currently. I cannot find bushings to fit.

When I bought the car it had Poly 1/4" offset bushings, that fit tight over the 3/4" bolt (no sleeve). I didn't think anything about it, until I started going after some loose steering issues. The rack itself was quite warn, and it was difficult to keep in my lane at freeway speeds.

I replaced the old rack with a 2004 Cobra (Cardone Rmfd) rack and MM steering shaft, and installed new Poly offset bushings. I just couldn't get them tight enough without the sleeve to cinch against. I have been driving it this way for a little while, and constantly checking the bushings (the 04 Cobra rack feels awesome, by the way), but need a permanent solution.

I have tried:
- Poly bushings, can't get them tight without the proper bolt/sleeve
- 1-Piece bushings (includes metal insert), but the ones I tried (Moog K8263) were 5/8" and wouldn't go over the 3/4" bolt

I don't want to replace the K-Member, and I really don't want to have someone cut off the old mounting bolts and re-fabricate a new mount.

I have just sent an email to Steeda, to see if they can provide their Solid 1-Pc 1/4" offset aluminum bushing with a 3/4" hole, but other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Is there a Moog 1-piece bushing that has a 3/4" bolt opening, and also fits the 79-04 steering rack?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I spoke to Tech Support at Moog today, and they weren't able to help. They have application charts, but no actual specs on their bushings. They can't tell me if another one of their bushings might work.

I've got an email into AJE, but I don't know what they can do either. Still waiting to hear back.

I heard back from Steeda, and they said they don't have anything for me (their words). For some reason, I thought they might do some custom machining.

I've thought about greasing and pounding in some kind of flanged sleeve bushing, but I don't think I'd be able to do that without just tearing things up.

So, not sure what my options are now, other than just cinching a poly bushing as tight as I can, without a bolt sleeve. A new K-Member is out of the question for now, and I don't know if it makes sense to have someone cut off the bolts and re-weld or fabricate new brackets. Not even sure who I would turn to for the work, especially while the K-Member is in the car.

Anyone know if this is a one-off setup the previous owner did with the 3/4" bolts, or are there bushings out there somewhere that might fit?

Thoughts on cutting off and re-fabricating new brackets? If this is a viable option, anyone in the Tampa area recommended?

Hmmm.... plenty of speed shops out in this area for sure.. but as far as a fabricator I would find no less than a racecar chassis builder to go that route. You don't want a failure.

Now what stopping you from altering a set of bushings you have now? An 11/16 drill bit run thru the bushing to still allow a tight fit. Use some silicon spray on the bolt to install the bushing......

Personally I would attempt to alter a bushing slightly before I hackedup the k member.

Reactions: 1 user
Now THAT's why I subscribe to this forum! Sometimes I get stuck in my own head...

I tried to drill the bushings out myself last weekend, but tore up a new titanium bit in the process. Barely chamfered the edge. However, I was using a hand drill instead of a press. I didn't even think about having a shop drill them out for me.

That should work, thanks!!!