Specs:
302 bored .030
Forged bottom end
X303 cam
Worked 351W heades (larger int/ exh)
Dual plane intake
Holley 750 double pump
C4 auto w/ 3000 stall

I have not installed this engine yet as I am deployed and the car is at the paint shop.
I ran into an interesting conversation yesterday about stall's. A fellow co-worker had a similar set up, not as large of cam, but a 3000 stall and said even though it would scare the hell out of the neighbors when he started it up, it would run to about 2800 RPM before it would go anywhere. Almost like he had a trans brake on at every light.
So I am wondering if my setup with a X303 cam and 3000 stall is too much stall?

The Cam
Rocker Ratio - 1.60
Intake Open/ Close - 5 degrees BTC/ 39 degrees ABC
Exhaust Events Open/ Close - 49 degrees BBC/ 5 degrees ATC
Duration Int/ Exh - 286 degrees/ 224 degrees
Lift Lobe/ Valve - .339 I/ .542 E
Lobe Center Int/ Exh - 107 degrees/ 117 degrees

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Well the C4 is stock (if that helps, probably not) :shrug: and I dont know much more than that about it. I would not mind a manual, but have not really researched it enough to know what would be good (TKO, T56 ect... for a daily driver, and so that my wife cant drive it either!)
The pumpkin is a stock 9" that has not been opened yet. I have 3.73's with a mini spool for it.

Any suggestions?

with a C4, you should have the following ratios

1st gear = 2.46:1
2nd gear = 1.46:1
3rd gear = 1:1

If you have a VIN, we can find out what your rear has in it but you say you have shorter gears going in your ford 9". With the shorter gear, I think the 3000 stall would be perfect. Just two things: (1) you say you have 3.73s. I am only aware of 3.70s as being available for the 9 inch. 3.73s are available for the 8.8" rear end. Make sure you got the right gears for your application. (2) unless this car is strictly strip only, ditch the mini-spool. It will be hellacious making a turn just to get into your driveway and you will regret it every time you drive the car on the street. Either get a Detroit Locker or a TRUETRAC.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I will have to double check the gears, I have had them for a while when I was doing a 69 and 92 mustang project at the same time.

Will update pictures when I can, only 20 days left in this not so nice country.

I had a 3000 and a 3500 with my x303. They were both TCI and the 3k drove around pretty much like a stocker. Only until the 3500 did I really notice it had a big convertor in it. It's going to stall higher with the stock gears, but will do much better with the 3.73's or even some 4.11's
Your buddy may need to get his checked out.

I've got a 2800 stall in my 73 vert (351C-4V). Replaced the 2100 stall that was in there. Does take a little getting used to as it slips more when accelerating.

However, for a motor that is sluggish on the bottom end (like a 4V Cleveland) it is great.

You just have to watch out for running too tall of a rear end gear (like 3.00 or 2.79) behind a big stall. You don't want to drive a long distance with the engine rpm below the stall speed or the converter will slip all the time and make a lot of heat.

Also, with that stall you should install a tranny cooler. Period.

Got a 347.

I ran into an interesting conversation yesterday about stall's. A fellow co-worker had a similar set up, not as large of cam, but a 3000 stall and said even though it would scare the hell out of the neighbors when he started it up, it would run to about 2800 RPM before it would go anywhere. Almost like he had a trans brake on at every light.

in that case i would say your coworker had a transmission issue, my converter will stall @ around 3100 and it still moves forward at idle, and drives a lot better than the junk TCI saturday night special i had before too
and X2 on the trans cooler!