what the hell are these???

ok so im putting my dash in my car and i notice two things that dont look right. there is some sort of small 12v orange battery connected to a silver box via a black and a red wire, the battery is also hooked to the wires that go to the glove box light....this silver thing that is connected to it has a white wire coming out of it and the white wire i can trace it and it goes up into the A-pillar......what the hell are these things and do i need em?

here are some pics.....

• Sponsors (?)

im ripping that bad boy out....amaizing what you find in a 14 year old car......

ive found like 20 feet of speaker wire, rca cables and other crap under the dash, under the door trim.....i think the dude before me could not decide on his stereo or something. and its all ghetto rigged too. at least he never screwed with the original factory harnesses.....

Whatever it is you should sell it on ebay.

My notch had a the most awesome security system in it i ever saw. The ing wire on the colum was cut and the 2 ends were clear taped to wires that lead to a small box mounted under the dash. the 2 wires poked through holes in the little box. There was a key hole in the front of the box ( really just a slot) and there was a special "key" that you put in to be able to start the car. All the key did was complete the circut. I wish i had of taken pics, it was so ghetto.