what to do about govener

horsepower302

Jan 17, 2007
my friend has a 1995 crown vic with a 4.6 he put 4.10 rear end gears in it the govener is 120 at 120 it is 73 mph it shuts down at the 1/8 mile what can he do to take the govener off it is obd-2

• Sponsors (?)

I'm thinking that that transmission still has a speed sensor. If it is a '95 CV, it should still have a AOD-E and there should be a speed sensor in the tailhousing. It is a sensor that sticks out the driver's side and has an electrical plug on it. If it is there, have you changed the driven gear on the sensor, IF I remember correctly, that year still had a sensor, and the speed limiter and such is run off of it.

That would be my first thought, especially with the speedometer being off.
Speed sensor: http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=33
Gear calculator: http://www.sccoa.com/faq/speedgr.html

he took it to the tranny shop and they changed the gear in the tail shaft it put the speedometer closer to being right but it is shutting down now at a 100mph wich is still 73mph so he went to summit and he told me they have a programmer that might work for a 96 mustang but he has to call the company that makes it and give them the code of the computer to see if it will work i think some of the taurus have the same computer in them the sho anyways i dont know for sure

Gotta' be a V8 computer to swap, if you can find a programmer that will take off the governor, of raise it more, that would work great.
Or you can always try a CV police computer if you consider a PCM swap. The P71 (police model code in the VIN) computer have a higher governor and a higher rev limiter and a firmer shift strategy and...all to try to catch the bad guys.
Usually, a PCM from a P71 can be found at a reasonable junkyard for less than $50. The one near me charges $35 with a warranty and usually has several.
I don't know what else to tell you, is it hitting the rev limiter or the speed governor? You say you had the gear changed in the tail housing, and it got the speedometer closer but still cut off at 73. It sounds more like it is hitting the CONSERVATIVE rev limiter.
Is this a civilian Crown Vic?

well i want to say thank you montegoman351 told my boss what you said get a p71 computer he got one i put it in for him tonight and it worked i just wanted to thank you for all your help thanks again horsepower302