What to do about the rear 4 to 5 lug!

Zorro

Founding Member
Jan 21, 1999
LOS ANGELES
Going with the front setup of 94-95 spindles. But how do I go about the rear? I am going with the 17 x 9 03 cobra rims but I read the article about the sn95 rear and it says I would have rubbing issues. Do I go with ranger axles and make it work with a rear disc setup and but will I rub the quads with a 275 tire on a 9" rim. My buddy has a 94-95 set up at all four corners and his 275s dont rub. If I go this route will I be okay or is it better to go with ranger axles to keep the stock track? Help guys, I am getting to go on this project.

• Sponsors (?)

You should be fine using ranger stuff for 5 lug. The 17X9's should not rub. My friend has stock 4 lug rear end stuff with brand new 03 Cobra 17X9's with a 285 Goodyear GSC. They do not rub....he has NO quad shocks. Those would probably rub.

Sounds like the exact setup I have on mine. I have the fox-length 5-lug axles on mine with 03 Cobra wheels and Nitto 275 DRs and I don't have any fender clearance issues. I believe the Nittos run a little narrower than other brands. You can flip the quads to gain extra clearance, but I had to ditch them as they still rubbed on my car. Every car is different, though, as there are guys who have had enough room with quads in place.

If you want disk brakes

North Race car brackets
SN95 disk brake parts (GT or Cobra)
Ranger or fox-lenght axles

This will allow you to run 9" wheels with no issues and still have disk brakes.

Ideally i would do this
FMS M-2300-M Cobra disk brake kit ($175)
North Cobra brackets ($175)
5-lug axles ($50-$200)
Sn95 calipers ($50-200)

Sell off cobra brake brackets + $75-100

If you keep drum brakes (Ranger axles) your rubbing issue will be on the inside of the fender, possible issues with the quad shocks and tail pipes. If you switch to rear disk, then your issues will be with the outer fender lip.

I have 275/40/17s in the rear with drum brakes and I had issues with the quad shocks, I flipped them but still get some rubbing over bumps. I don't have tails, so I have no experience there.

But from what I have seen, every exhaust setup is slightly different.

flip the qaud shocks around i tlel people this all the time.... it give u almost 3/4 inch more clearance. I didnt friggin measure how much clerance u actually get by doing it but trust me it makes a big difference. the one end is as wide as a cell phone..real phat....... the other sides as only as thick as like a thumb. the space saved is alot i dropped my car an 1 1/4 and i dont get rub....275s out back on a dropped fox u drop it more then 1 1/4 tho then ure gonna get fender rub. Stay stock axle length tho!