what to do about valve springs

horsepower302

Jan 17, 2007
Im going to put E303 cam in with 1.7 rockers would it be ok to run on stock heads and valve springs?car has 120,000 miles on it would it be ok to run at drag strip like that?Is E303 best cam for automatic?

• Sponsors (?)

there is actually alot of hp to be picked up by changing tired old valve springs for a set that properly match's the cam. If i were you i would swap new ones in. You can change them on the car there are tools to do that. Then you wouldn't have to remove your heads. Its not that new springs are going to give you more hp its that they will bring the engine back to where it was before they wore out. You may also find you can rev it higher because you are not experiencing valve float.

there is actually alot of hp to be picked up by changing tired old valve springs for a set that properly match's the cam. If i were you i would swap new ones in. You can change them on the car there are tools to do that. Then you wouldn't have to remove your heads. Its not that new springs are going to give you more hp its that they will bring the engine back to where it was before they wore out. You may also find you can rev it higher because you are not experiencing valve float.

take his words of advice....i found out the hard way on my c9 heads.....valves loved to float and had to short shift the car

Just stick the e cam in and who cares about the results. Leaving your stock rockers in will help but dont worry about it, if an e cam is gonna make your valve springs give out then they were almost shot anyways!!

Just stick the e cam in and who cares about the results. Leaving your stock rockers in will help but dont worry about it, if an e cam is gonna make your valve springs give out then they were almost shot anyways!!

there is no doubt you can do this. Just stuff a cam in and not worry about the valve train. I'm just saying that it actually isn't smart. Your hp potential with bagged springs is far less then with new springs. I see why you are asking because this could cost you another 300 bucks but that being said i think it is 300 dollars well spent.

The reason i was asking i just want to makesure its going to last im planing to put heads on in in the summer just need it to last 4 months thanks for all your help if you have any more info on this would love to hear it thanks horsepower302