What to do with my 2v...??

2vNotch

Dec 6, 2011
Rogers, AR
Alright mod motor guys I need your help here! Im wanting to add some extra ponies to my '02 2v motor ( W not Romeo, if that makes any diff ). As of now it only has a Saleen cone style filter (not in fender) and a Diablo Pedator power programmer ( mainly just to get around the PATS system in the computer so itd run ). The car has a custom made stainless xpipe (motors in an '88 coupe), dumped flows, 255gph fuel pump and 373's. Im no mod motor genious ( this is my first ), but i know basic boltons will get me where I'm happy, for now. I dont want to get into the bottom end and dont want to pull the heads to b ported or anything like that. I wouldnt mind spraying it ( not sure what its capable of handling ) but I def cant afford to boost it right now either.
What im looking at changing is cams, pulleys, getting a true CAI, intake/elbow/TB, longtube headers, Msd coils, possibly fuel rails, MAF, and injectors (if all is needed). Was just looking for feedback on brand names ( especially the cams, i want smthn that lopes hard )!! Is there anythng I missed or dont need to necessarily change?? Thanks for any input!

• Sponsors (?)

If you are going to stay NA ditch those 373's for some 4.10's or 4.30's. If you are thinking about putting a blower on the car in the future then don't bother installing pulleys. I would say start with full exhaust. Mac makes a nice long tube and mid pipe combo that wont break he bank. Full exhaust, 4.30's and some nice sticky rubber!

Mid 400's is the limit on the bottom end (though tune is always important). With the mods listed you're probably seeing about 240-250's to the floor. A shot would be safe on the bottom end if its nothing crazy. I say stay with 3.73 perfect all around gear IMO. With full intake system (CAI,TB,Plenum and manifold) and full exhaust (LT,mid and cat) you could beat to be in the 270's with a tune. I personally layed down 265 with everything above (minus the manifold). N/A Cams from CMS or Comp would give you the LOPE you desire. I personally have a set of CMS 2.5 BLOWER cams (not as much rumble as N/A cams) and love them.

N/A CMS St2

N/A Comp Cams

You'll want to look into injectors to support the extra power of course. But there are PLENTY of N/A guys on here i know will chime in and help you out on different routes to take N/A for power.

Me i love my BOOOOOST went from 265 to 407 with my supercharger haha.

What im looking at changing is cams, pulleys, getting a true CAI, intake/elbow/TB, longtube headers, Msd coils, possibly fuel rails, MAF, and injectors (if all is needed). Was just looking for feedback on brand names ( especially the cams, i want smthn that lopes hard )!! Is there anythng I missed or dont need to necessarily change?? Thanks for any input!

Re cams: Something that "lopes hard" will be giving up low-end torque in favor of breathing at RPM levels the rest of the engine will not be comfortable handling. If your goal is to sound cool big cams sound neat-o but are rarely the best choice for a street-driven daily if your goal is to "add some extra ponies." A cam like the Comp 262AH will give a nice boost at redline and not cost anything down low.

Of the items on your list cams and LTs make the most sense. A proper CAI will help some and a larger TB might help but the rest is not needed. I agree with slayer: Add some gear to your shopping list. You can get a set installed if you ditch the coils, rails, MAF and injectors and you'd probably still come out ahead.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you have already replaced the engine wince you have a Windsor Block in there, the windsor has an 8 bolt crank which is debatably a little tougher then the romeo. If you want to spray you will be safe up to 125 shot, with colder plugs, fuel safety switch, and a good tune. I sprayed 150 on my stock windsor block and never had any issues.

Re cams: Something that "lopes hard" will be giving up low-end torque in favor of breathing at RPM levels the rest of the engine will not be comfortable handling. If your goal is to sound cool big cams sound neat-o but are rarely the best choice for a street-driven daily if your goal is to "add some extra ponies." A cam like the Comp 262AH will give a nice boost at redline and not cost anything down low.

Of the items on your list cams and LTs make the most sense. A proper CAI will help some and a larger TB might help but the rest is not needed. I agree with slayer: Add some gear to your shopping list. You can get a set installed if you ditch the coils, rails, MAF and injectors and you'd probably still come out ahead.
Plus I'm hearing people with cams at extreme high lifts are having vacuum problems and require some electric vacuum divice.