Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Get the members of Stangnet to donate some money so I can both now :D

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
Some of you may have seen my thread about replacing my front suspension, and I've pretty much decided on what Im going with there. The question now is when should I do it? Money is going to be a little tight again this year, so it looks like Im only gonna be able to do one major project this winter. Hopefully I'll have the cash to finish both projects by early summer(May/June). Here's my choices,

A, Replace entire front suspension and continue to use the stock T-5 until I can afford a TKO.

B, Replace just the k-member and install a TKO setup.

C, Same as B, but swap out my sportlines for my stock springs...

My reasoning for each choice is A, I'm sick of the harsh ride with my sportlines. Im also 100% definitely changing the k-member this winter, and I would like to change everything in one shot. My T-5 is holding up just fine so far, and replacing the suspension will hopefully make the car enjoyable to drive all the time again, even if I have to go easy on it.
B, The transmission is definitely a higher priority than the suspension, as far as potentially broken parts goes. I allready broke one T-5, and I would hate to put a bunch of money into the suspension then break the transmission shortly after that.
C, Im tired of the harsh ride, and this seems like the easiest, cheapest fix.

My oil pan gasket is leaking bad, and Im definitely changine the k-member this year since I couldn't afford it last year. This is something I want done before I drive the car too much more, I really don't like driving it with oil leaking right onto the headers...Anyways, I have to disassemble the front suspension to change the k-member, and I would really like to only have to do that once.

• Sponsors (?)

That's a tough one Mike and I can see your dilema. If you can ractice self restraint for the rest of the year, then opt for the K member and fix the oil pan leak. If it wasn't for the leak I'd definitely do the TKO first. Don't forget, coil overs can be pretty loud if you are not used to them.

Dont cha just HATE trying to decide between options for mods? Im going through the same thing, ya got X amount of dollars with a million things you want to do.

That being said, i know the ride is rough which sucks. But on the other hand you have spent butt loads of cash on that motor and havent been able to reap the full benefits because of a weak tranny.

I guess what you should try to do is to save as much cash as possible. Either way you will be giving up a "want" for the car. If you do the suspension now, have it riding like a million dollars. It puts a smile on your face right? But then you destroy another tranny. And its before you are ready to buy a tremec or other tranny. SO what now? Your car sits till u get the cash? Or you end up stressing to get the cash from other sources?

Or you could do the tranny/cross member now, and do the rest later when u get the money. Nothing will break...you will just have to live with the rougher ride(or just throw the springs in). You wont lose anything else but your labor and the $50 to have the spring perches installed(i think).

I dont know man, like Paul said...thats a tough one.

:shrug:

i think i would eliminate the weak link first(t-5) then deal with the annoying issues later. the harsh ride sucks and leaking oil sucks just as bad, but i'd ditch the t-5. i think you said it your self about the tranny being more of a priority. breaking another tranny would just set you back even further! my .02
jake

The only reson I'm considering doing the suspension first is because of that oil leak. I'll have the motor out, so I will be installing the tubular k-member at that time. Seems like the perfect time to replace the other suspension parts. :D If it wasn't for that oil leak, I would go ahead with the TKO and change the suspension later.

Like I said, my T-5 is holding up just fine right now, just watch my burnout vid in my sig to see how good it's doing. :D I (think I) can restrain myself from breaking this one until I can afford a TKO. Also, I will be replacing whichever parts I don't change out now later this year, like early-mid summer, so it's not like I'll be using the T-5 all year again.

My main goal right now is to get that pleasant driving experience back, and that doesn't neccesarily mean driving the car to it's full potential. My car pisses me off everytime I drive it now, mainly because of the bucking/surging and the stiff ride. I guess driving brand new cars for over a year kinda spoiled me. :D LOL Anyways, I'll be getting the car tuned as soon as I get the oil leak fixed, so that's half the problem taken care of. Hopefully then I'll be able to drive it on a daily basis again.

Killercanary said:
I would not even concider a 3550 with your combo, the mainshaft is the same as the T5. The TKO, and newer TKO's all have a larger main shaft and with your torque you'll need it.

I was talking about the TKO 3550, not the regular 3550. I think the older TKO would be ok to use, but Im gonna pass on this one I found and wait to see if I can find a good deal on a TKO 600. Might as well do it right the first time.

Dan, I've heard that some coil over setups are loud, .i.e. rattling and other noises. I don't know if this is based on the brand of coil overs, but I've heard it mostly happens with the cheaper kits. Im going with the MM coil overs so hopefully they'll be quiet. If not, well Im not too worried about it. My car aint exactly quiet, you know. :D

Mine are only loud on the passenger side and when I hit a very sudden bump, then they BANG. I checked and rechecked everything and nothing is loose. I've talked with a number of guys that have the same problems. Its not bad really, but it was something I wasn't ready for and I spent a number of hours checking and rechecking everything just to find out that was the "nature of the beast." I honestly have no idea where the sound comes from, which I don't like.